Question What is the best Oral Contraceptive for a Breastfeeding Mother?

Having planned pregnancy is indeed a good way to maintain the health of the family. Proper spacing of children is also considered. I gave birth 3 months ago to a healthy baby girl. I also have a son, 9 years of age. My husband and I decided to use Oral Contraceptive Pills as our method of contraception. I bought a pill with a formulation of Levonorgestrel + Estrogen. Not knowing what this drug was, I read the enclosed package leaflet and learned that the content of the pill is not safe for breastfeeding mothers. What Oral Contraceptive Pills are safe for me to use since I am a full-time breastfeeding mum? Thank you for reading my post!

I did not use any any hormonal birth control (pill, patch, injection, etc.) but instead, we used a form of natural family planning which has been proven to be just as effective as the pill, when done properly. This is not the rhythm method. It's a much more accurate method (as to be if it's as effective as the pill).

We used this method to avoid pregnancy for the first 7 years of our marriage (my husband didn't want children at that time) and then we reversed what we were doing to conceive the first month we tried.

The International Links page has a link to a Fertility Awareness and Natural Family Planning website.

I will ask Jane if she knows the answer to your specific question, but I have heard that breasfeeding mums are often prescribed a low dose contraceptive pill.

Administrator

Minipill and breastfeeding

You are correct any combined contraceptive pill (that is one that contains progesterone and oestrogen) is not suitable for breastfeeding women. The contraceptive pill that is sometimes prescribed to breastfeeding women is called the Minipill. This is a progesterone only pill and needs to be taken every day.

The way is works is by thickening the mucous produced by the cervix preventing the sperm making their way up to fertilise the egg. If they happen to make their way to the egg - the progression of the fertilised egg is slowed so it is unlikely to survive. It may also stop ovulation in some women.

The effectiveness of the minipill is around 96% but if you are fully breastfeeding it is more than 99% effective. It is important that you take it within the same 3 hour window every day or it will not work. Some medications interfere with the minipill so you need to talk to your doctor. Any time you are unwell with vomiting or diarrhoea the minipill can be made ineffective.

Possible problems with the minipill include irregular menstrual periods or no periods at all, or some light bleeding between periods and ovarian cysts. If you do conceive on the mini pill there is a risk that it will be ectopic pregnancy. You may also notice a small weight gain, nausea, headaches and/or a loss of libido. A small amount of the progesterone does pass through the breast milk but is though not to cause any problems.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Good information Jane! Thank you so much for responding to this question.

Just wanted to chime in to say that the IUD is also highly effective and safe for breastfeeding moms. I know you asked about oral contraception, but wanted to give you some insight into another option if the minipill doesn't work out!

Whichever form of birth control you use, just be sure to do your research on the risks. There are risks associated with most forms of birth control.

The IUD has a risk of pelvic infection. I've known women who used it and had no problem with it, but it's always good to know possible risks whenever we take a medication, hormone or have a procedure done.

Thank you for the insights! I have done some research regarding Family Planning and ther are two methods: Natural and Artificial Family Planning.

When I had my first baby, I made use of the Natural method. A combination of the Calendar method and the Cervical Mucus Test. This was very helpful and it worked for me for 8 years! It is really important to understand the process carefully before applying it to prevent pregnancy.

Calendar Method is only applicable to women who have a regular monthly period. Otherwise, it is better for them to choose other methods. Am I correct?

On my second child, I wanted to make use of the Artificial method which includes making use of condoms and pills. I understood what Jane said about Progesterone-based pills. Thank you for the reply! Though there may be risks or side-effects, I will read more about the remedies that I can do.

Thank you mom2many for sharing something about IUD. I also read about that but I have a fear that it could cause me some problems.

Administrator

Lactational Amenorrhoea Method

Don't forget you can also use what is know as the Lactational Amenorrhoea Method (LAM). LAM is natural family planning and is around 98% effective (which is equivalent to artificial means). There are some guidelines which are:

• The baby is fully breastfed on demand day and night from birth(no supplements of any kind)
    • The baby is younger than six months
    • The mother's periods have not returned

You can read more about LAM on the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Thank you Jane!

Yes I have heard of this method, LAM. Unfortunately, it is no longer applicable for because I already had my period on the first month from my delivery. Though I knew a lot of women using this kind of method and most of them have positive feedbacks. But it is really important to take note of the guidelines to prevent pregnancy.