Hybrid View

Breastfeeding and returning to work

In October 2011, Ikea Adelaide was given an accreditation for helping employees to continue breastfeeding when they return to work: you can read more about this here. For example, they provide breastfeeding workers with significant breaks in order to express milk in a suitably designed private room.

What are your experiences of returning to work whilst breastfeeding? What help did your employer give you?

I think it is wonderful that IKEA Adelaide provides all of those things to breastfeeding women who are returning to work. It is awesome that they provide information and private facilities for mothers that need to express. I was not given much by my employer when I returned to work. I didn't really speak with them about it, but I was able to work a shorter shift so I could go home earlier.

My experience was nothing like that. I hope that more businesses take note of IKEA Adelaide's efforts and begin to offer similar accommodations. Breastfeeding is beneficial for society in so many ways. Employers need to recognize this.