How soon after a Caesarean can I try for a VBAC?

We have recently had our little girl via an unscheduled Caesarean birth. We would like to know what you would advise is a safe and comfortable period to plan our second baby. Also, would it be possible to try for a natural birth?

Dear mumtozoe,

It is generally advised to wait at least 12 months from a c-section birth of your baby before trying for another baby (particularly if you hope to have a VBAC - vaginal birth after previous c-section) but some professionals advise waiting 18 months. You could check this with your own healthcare provider based on your c-section and how you are recovering so far.

Many women go on to have a natural (vaginal) birth after a c-section. There is approximately a 75% success rate in women who try for a VBAC and are able to have one at the time of labour. There are lots of resources on VBACs here.

There is a small risk (believed to be around 0.5%) of the scar rupturing if you try for a VBAC in which case you would have an emergency c-section. However, there are risks associated with having any c-section (such as the increased risk of infection) and this is one reason why many women plan a VBAC. It is important to have a supportive midwife caring for you in pregnancy and labour if you are planning a VBAC.

Do you have any more questions about what would be involved?

I hope this helps,
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you LJ.

I do hope I am able to go through with a natural birth for baby #2.

Dear MumtoZoe,

I would advise you find a midwife who is supportive of your wish to have a VBAC. The statistics are on your side so this is good news. Many women also find that having a doula there at the birth helpful in advocating their wishes.

How are you feeling now about the birth of your little girl? There can be a lot to come to terms with when you have had an unplanned c-section. Some women feel robbed of their chance to have a vaginal birth with the baby which was delivered by a c-section. On average it takes 6 weeks to heal from a c-section and this can also be difficult to accept.

Warm wishes,
    LJ