Hybrid View

My 5-year-old boy doesn't want to drink milk.

I am worried about my son who is now five years old. He doesn't want to drink milk after I breastfed him when he was over two years of age. I envy those mums who buy milk cans for their kids. Seems like my child is lacking the nutrients he should be taking and he wouldn't eat vegetables either. Even if I put some chocolate flavor in his milk, he still doesn't want to drink it.

Hi chawiarashi,

Firstly I would like to say how great it is that your breastfed your son until he was over 2 years old. This will have given him lifelong health, emotional and social benefits.

Some children just don't seem to like the taste of milk. There is some colloquial evidence that this is more the case with breastfed babies. However, it is fine for children to not drink cows milk as long as they get their Calcium intake elsewhere in their diet. They could get these through other milk products such as yoghurt or cheese. Alternatively, how about milk used in food such as porridge made with full fat milk (with an interesting topping such as chopped dates)?

Five year old children need to get about 1000 mg a day of Calcium. This is really important for healthy bones and teeth. There are also many other sources of Calcium which you may not have considered. Raw tofu is rich in Calcium and there is also plenty of Calcium in Spinach, Tahini, greens and Wholegrain bread. Have a look on the labels to check how much Calcium they will contribute to your son's diet.

I would try to avoid putting chocolate in his milk as it is best to keep sugar to a minimum and this is likely to start a habit of needing food and drink to be sweetened.

In terms of the vegetables, it is very normal for children of this age to go through a fussy stage. Try not to draw attention to this or make food associated with emotions but keep food fun and family-orientated (e.g. making mealtimes full of fun family times). How about involving your son in choosing and creating a 'menu' for dinner? Or making nutritious smoothies together? What about food cut into fun shapes with cake cutters or making 'pizza faces' together?

Please let me know if any of these ideas help and, if not, I can offer some more suggestions.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 15th September 2013 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks Lj! I will surely do all you mentioned. Thanks a lot really.

You are very welcome. Please let us know how you get on.

There's also a useful article by Dr. Sears (the well-known attachment parenting doctor) on Feeding the Picky Eater here. One of the suggestions is to have a 'graze tray' where your child can come and go through the day grazing on healthy snacks such as vegetable sticks with dips (kids often love to dip their food), steamed chicken, chopped dried fruit etc.

Warm wishes,

LJ

Hi chawiarashi

After many years managing children's services I can attest to LJs claim that fussiness around vegetables in very common with young children. LJ has offered you some great advice. Using a good internet search engine and searching for terms like fun foods for kids brings up some great ideas. I particularly like this site: Taste.com

Personally I use a two pronged approach - I encourage them to eat visible vegetables on the plate, while also hiding them in foods at every opportunity. This way I can both encourage the eating of vegetables while also achieving nutritional targets while working on that!

I make my own spaghetti bolognese sauce, loaded with mushrooms, red kidney beans and good quality frozen vegetables. It is half vegetable and half lean beef mince, along with tomato paste and tinned tomatoes. I use a food processor to process down all the vegetables making them invisible. If your child is a fan of macaroni cheese, this can be made with a good dose of cauliflower: Fast Ed Cauliflower Pasta

Another one that works well at our house is tacos (or burritos if you prefer). I make an effort to use cute bowls to put each of the toppings in - grated cheese, tiny cubes of cucumber, quartered cherry tomatoes, shredded lettuce, strips of capsicum, home made guacamole (or just mashed avocado), a little sour cream, sweet chilli sauce, and obviously either mince of chicken strips. The fun of the construction lends itself well to actually eating them and while there is always some bits left on the plate there is a steady progression towards eating it all.
    Last edited by Mumof2IVFmiracles; 16th September 2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Hi Mumof2IVFmiracles,

I thank you for the recipes. Hahaha. Just perfect. My son likes to eat pasta! How come I have never thought of mixing vegetables to the sauce before. I will check that site too. Thanks!

Sharon

I love your 'two pronged approach' mumof2IVFmiracles! Perfect - the kiddies get their nutritional needs met (in the 'hidden vegetables') and learn that eating fruit and vegetables should be part of almost every normal, balanced meal (in the 'visible vegetables').

Chawiarashi - we now get a local organic vegetable box delivered each week. I often roast vegetables such as aubergine, squash, courgettes or marrow and then liquidize them and mix them into pasta. You can keep the roast vegetables for snacks/ another day too.

Best wishes,

LJ