Red face How to deal with older baby nursing with her younger sister?

Now, I welcome myself in tandem breastfeeding. Last month, my two-year old baby is nursing again. When she was a littlie like 7 months old, she stopped nursing because I was pregnant. We introduced bottle feeding because we have no idea about tandem breastfeeding. But, it feel awkward in my part that I feel quite irritated. I know it's bad to feel that way. But I'm trying to feel at ease with this new experience. I love both of my daughters very much. How did you deal with the same situation? Your thoughts will greatly help me.

Hi,

Thank you for posting this question here. I have a 10 month old and a 2 and 9 month year old and I have only recently stopped breastfeeding my older son. Overall, we have all enjoyed our tandem breastfeeding experience over the last 9-10 months. However, we have had a few difficulties and some days have been harder than others. But perhaps this is the nature of any breastfeeding journey.

Firstly, I can thoroughly recommend the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hilary Flower. Dr. Flower writes: 'Tandem nursing is an exercise in love, patience, and adaptability'. I would agree with this; it can take some getting used to, and certainly some flexibility, for all involved but the rewards are rich.

It is interesting that your older child stopped nursing for so long. Often when a new baby comes along an older sibling will become interested in breastfeeding again (or more interested if they have always breastfed). Do you feed your children at the same time or separately? I have found that when my toddler has vied for my attention and been really keen on milk it has often been best to feed them at the same time. You need to find what is right for you; some women don't feel comfortable feeding two children at the same time.

I don't think you should feel guilty about how you feel. Breastfeeding is a two or three way relationship. You need to find positions and styles that are comfortable for you. How often does your older child feed? Is it comfortable when they feed? I have to introduce some feeding guidelines with my toddler (e.g. not trying to jump around whilst feeding/ nipple twiddling) and I think this is reasonable.

Some toddlers like to pretend to feed their dolls, trucks, cars etc when you are feeding the younger child. This can be a nice way to bond together if you don't want to feed them both simultaneously.

As your older child has not fed for some time, they may be feeding mainly for comfort and reassurance. These are great benefits of breastfeeding. If this is the case I would continue to give your older child her other milk/ milk products, in particular whilst you build up your milk supply again.

I could write and write about tandem feeding but perhaps if you let me know if there are any specific areas you feel you need more support in then I can offer some more advice.

It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job with your girls!

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 15th September 2013 at 05:17 AM.