Thread: alternatives

alternatives

Hi. i'm a soon to be mum and i'm kinda worried about breastfeeding. i may not be able to breastfeed my baby as i will be working after giving birth. any alternatives? Thanks!

Dear soontobemum,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Breastmilk is the best milk for your baby - this is why the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommend exclusive breastfeeding (i.e. only giving your baby breastmilk and no other food or drink) for the first 6 months of life. An alternative to feeding your baby at the breast is to pump (express) your breastmilk so that someone can feed it to your baby when you are away.

When will you be going back to work? How many hours a week will you be away from your baby?

Employers have a legal obligation to give a breastfeeding mum regular breaks during work and to provide them with a private and appropriate place to express. Your employer should also provide you with a fridge to store your milk in.

Who will be caring for your baby whilst you are at work? Having a family member/ childcare provider who is thoroughly supportive of your decision to breastfeed (and express) is important when you work whilst you are breastfeeding.

Here is an article with more detailed information about expressing breastmilk including tips for when/ what technique to use. If it good if you can mimic your baby's feeding technique. It is useful to note that no breastpump is as efficient as a baby at extracting milk from the breast. However, it is possible to exclusively pump (i.e. feed your baby on only expressed breastmilk for the first 6 months of life) there is some excellent information about exclusive pumping here. Exclusive pumping requires dedication and planning but is an excellent way for mum's to feed their babies wonderful breastmilk when/ if their baby cannot feed at the breast directly.

Does this help you?

You say your are worried about breastfeeding. I'm sorry to hear this. Has your midwife/ health care provider talked much to you about breastfeeding? Do you have any other specific concerns apart from going back to work? Whilst breastfeeding is the most natural, and best, way to feed your baby it can take time in the early days to get it established. It is normal to need lots of help from: midwives, breastfeeding support groups, peer support and lactation consultants. All these groups/ professionals should be happy to talk to you as a pregnant woman about breastfeeding and begin their support to you.

Please do ask any further questions here.

Warm wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 21st September 2013 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Dear soontobemum,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Breastmilk is the best milk for your baby - this is why the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommend exclusive breastfeeding (i.e. only giving your baby breastmilk and no other food or drink) for the first 6 months of life. An alternative to feeding your baby at the breast is to pump (express) your breastmilk so that someone can feed it to your baby when you are away.

When will you be going back to work? How many hours a week will you be away from your baby?

Employers have a legal obligation to give a breastfeeding mum regular breaks during work and to provide them with a private and appropriate place to express. Your employer should also provide you with a fridge to store your milk in.

Who will be caring for your baby whilst you are at work? Having a family member/ childcare provider who is thoroughly supportive of your decision to breastfeed (and express) is important when you work whilst you are breastfeeding.

Here is an article with more detailed information about expressing breastmilk including tips for when/ what technique to use. If it good if you can mimic your baby's feeding technique. It is useful to note that no breastpump is as efficient as a baby at extracting milk from the breast. However, it is possible to exclusively pump (i.e. feed your baby on only expressed breastmilk for the first 6 months of life) there is some excellent information about exclusive pumping here. Exclusive pumping requires dedication and planning but is an excellent way for mum's to feed their babies wonderful breastmilk when/ if their baby cannot feed at the breast directly.

Does this help you?

You say your are worried about breastfeeding. I'm sorry to hear this. Has your midwife/ health care provider talked much to you about breastfeeding? Do you have any other specific concerns apart from going back to work? Whilst breastfeeding is the most natural, and best, way to feed your baby it can take time in the early days to get it established. It is normal to need lots of help from: midwives, breastfeeding support groups, peer support and lactation consultants. All these groups/ professionals should be happy to talk to you as a pregnant woman about breastfeeding and begin their support to you.

Please do ask any further questions here.

Warm wishes,

LJ
    hi. thanks for the response.. anyway, i'm planning to work a week after i gave birth, is that fine? i might be working 8-10hrs a day. actually, aside from going back to work, i'm worrying because this will be my first baby, so lot's of things are really worrying me right now...

Hi LJ,
    Thanks for your fast response.
    if in case i can't breastfeed my baby, what would be the best alternative milk? Can you suggest anything available from the market?
    Lots of thanks!

Regards,
    soontobemum

Hi,

That's very early to be going back to work. I don't know what part of the world you are living in? Many countries operate a paid maternity leave scheme (typically ranging from 4-12 months of maternity leave) and this has been found to extremely beneficial to new families. In particular, having a period of maternity leave benefits the breastfeeding relationship between mum and baby.

Did you have any thoughts about expressing (pumping) breastmilk?

Even if you did work your employer should give you breaks and a suitable room to express your milk in with suitable storage.

You say lots of things are worrying you about having a baby - please let us know what they are so we can help to support you. Having a baby can be an emotional and daunting time but, with the right support and information, it can be an empowering and joyful time.

Baby milk action provides information on breastfeeding (which is best for baby) and formula feeding (they say 'when babies do not receive breastmilk, for whatever reason, they have a right to nutrition that is as safe as possible and will cause the least possible harm'). Here is the information from baby milk action on formula feeding.

Thinking of you,

LJ