Hybrid View

Wink Hello to all beautiful mums and mums-to-be!!! :D

Hi! I'm April. It's great to be here in this site.
    I am expecting to learn a lot here and read advises.
    I read a lot of topics online regarding trying to conceive and preparing to be a mum.
    I think its best to post, get advises from mums and practitioners here.
    I hope to get advice and I look forward to reading more posts.
    Thanks!

Hi April,

Welcome to the forum - I'm glad you have decided to join us on here.

Thanks for your introduction. Yes I agree that sharing experiences from other parents and health professionals is a great way to get lots of information about pregnancy, birth and beyond. Ultimately only the parents can, and should, decide what is best for themselves and their baby. Being well-informed on pregnancy and birth is key to making empowered decisions.

Please can I ask if you are planning a pregnancy for the future, actively trying to conceive or pregnant already? I have two boys - aged 11 months and 2 and 9 months. They fill all my days with joy

I look forward to reading your posts.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi ljmarsden,

Not yet
    I'm married for 4 years now, but only this year I became worried and really trying to.
    I began to read a lot of topics about preparation to being pregnant, focusing on diet and health. It worries me now that I am soon turning 30 years old. They said that women when they reached their 30's are having difficulty conceiving and getting pregnant.
    Any advice you can give and to all mums out there who can give me advises too.

Dear April,

Please try not to worry. You say it is only this year that you have really been trying to conceive. It is wise to have sex at least every other day when you are trying to conceive (this is the guideline given by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence).

It is considered normal for it to take up to one year of actively trying to conceive before you get pregnant. If it takes longer than one year then it is wise to see a doctor to get your and your partner's fertility levels checked.

You write that you are 29 years old - this means that your age should not stop you getting pregnant. Generally, it is only from age 35 years and older that the quality and quantity of a woman's eggs starts to reduce (unless the woman has gone through the early menopause).

There are actually only around 3 days in a month that you are fertile and can conceive. If you do not have sex during this time then you will not get pregnant even if you have sex all the other days of the month! Are your periods regular?

There is an excellent previous thread here by one of our moderators Kate about signs of fertility. Kate writes this: 'The day before and the day of ovulation, your cervical mucus will be clear and wet and it will have the consistency of egg white. You will be able to pick it up and stretch it between your thumb and fore finger and it may not break even if you stretch it 6 inches. This is when you are at your peak of fertility and sex at this time gives you the best chance of conception.'

You should start taking folic acid supplements when you are trying to conceive. There is a useful article here about Preconception Care.

Warm wishes,

LJ

Thanks a lot!
    I have just read the articles you gave and its awesome. So informative and easy to understand.
    Rest assured, I'll keep it in mind and apply it to myself.
    But one hard thing for me is that my period is not regular. I sometimes miss 3 to 4 months period.
    This might be killing the slim chances of me getting pregnant. Can this irregular period affect my ovulation? Can this be sign of infertility?

Dear April,

I'm glad that you have found this information useful.

I'm afraid that irregular periods can be a sign of fertility problems. However, this is not always the case as there are a number of factors (including stress, illness, diet and medication) that can affect our menstrual cycles. Have your periods always been irregular? Have you been on the pill recently?

There is a condition called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) which can stop a woman from ovulating/ interfere with her ovulation. I mention this because a sign of PCOS is irregular periods. It can cause fertility problems, however, with extra help many women with PCOS do go on to achieve a pregnancy so please stay hopeful even if you think you may have PCOS. In light of what you have described I would see your doctor to check if you have PCOS and to check you and your partner for any other conditions which could affect your fertility levels.

You are right - with irregular periods it can take longer to conceive anyway.

Thinking of you,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 23rd September 2013 at 03:16 AM.

Hi ljmarsden,

Thank you so much for always replying to me.

Yes, ever since it's always been irregular. When I took pills, i had my period regularly.
    But when I stopped, it became irregular again.

Yes, planning to see a doctor.

Thanks again!
    April

You are very welcome April. Please do let me know how your appointment with your doctor goes so we can continue to support you from there.

LJ