Trying to rid away of bottle feeding

It's hard for my 3-year old to stay away from bottle feeding as advised by her doctor specially since her toothache is making her uncomfortable, but it's hard for me to stay with the doctor's instruction since she can't avoid asking for her milk bottle while sleeping. What should I do?

Hello!
    First of all, I would say that you need to address the issue of a toothache in a 3-year old. Have you taken your daughter to a dentist? Do you know why she is having a recurring toothache? It is most important that you get that issue cleared up, as it can lead to many dental problems if she has a cavity that is not being fixed. Did you tell your doctor that your daughter was experiencing a toothache? Please get medical advice on that very soon.

Once you get the toothache issue dealt with, you can concentrate on the bottle issue. It is very important that you never let your child fall asleep with a bottle in her mouth. The sugars in the milk tend to pool around her teeth when this happens and it can lead to a condition called "Baby Bottle Tooth Decay."

You might try to offer your daughter a bottle of water, if she is willing to transition to that for awhile before getting rid of the bottle altogether. Another thing you can try is to substitute a special soft or silky blankie or cloth or soft animal to hold and cuddle as she falls asleep. She will probably resist those efforts at first, but continue to offer something else to help comfort her.

Another thing you can incorporate, if you haven't already, is to hold her, rock her or lay down with her while humming lullabies and gently rubbing or scratching her back. My 4-year old daughter loves when I do that! It makes bedtime so pleasant and sweet.

It may not make her forget about the bottle, especially at first, but in time, perhaps she will adapt to new comforts for bedtime.

I wish you the best!

That's a great idea! I'll find different ways to give her comfort like her favorite stuff toy! And yes, I've brought her to the dentist a couple of times now. Patience is a virtue. I'll keep this in mind everyday in the hopes of seeing a good change in the situation. Thanks a lot!