Thread: Twin birth

Hybrid View

Administrator

Twin birth

I recently had the wonderful experience to be a midwife for Kylie who gave birth to Molly and Claire at 37 weeks. Both Molly and Claire were breech. Kylie gave birth to her beautiful breech baby girls standing - something almost unheard of within the current medicalised climate. While all women are exposed to increasing levels of intervention in birth - when a women has a multiple pregnancy this exposure increases exponentially. What has your experience with giving birth to twins? Has it been a positive or negative experience?

Photos of Molly and Claire taken by Holly Priddis Photography
    molly and claire 2.jpgmolly and claire 3.jpgmolly and claire 4.jpgmolly and claire.jpg

(Kylie has given permission to share her experience)
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

I just wanted to pass on my congratulations to Kylie - what beautiful photos.

I have not had twins, but I also wanted to say congratulations to Kylie and her family. What an amazing birth story and such precious photos.

Administrator

Giving birth to twins

I've just posted a new article on PBBs website on giving birth to twins. Here is an excerpt:
    Discovering you are carrying twins is often a moment of mixed emotions. You may feel overjoyed that you are being blessed with two babies rather than just one, and you may worry just how you are going to accommodate and afford your doubled joy. Among the plethora of questions and thoughts swimming in your head in the early days after this discovery, no doubt you’ll start to wonder what it is like giving birth to twins.

To find out more read the article "Giving Birth to Twins". I hope you find this information helpful.
    Hidden Content

Those babies are absolutely gorgeous and I was so amazed to read that you were able to deliver both of them vaginally even though they were breech and that the mother was able to stand to do so! That just shows what a skilled midwife you are.

I read the article you posted Giving Birth to Twins and found it to be right on with all of the things I experienced. I have read many books on twins, countless articles, hundreds of posts and I have never read anything that is as comprehensive as this. It's excellent and I would recommend it to anyone expecting twins!

I felt very fortunate when I gave birth to my twins that I wasn't automatically tagged for a caesarean like many mothers of twins are. I did have an epidural and was told I needed to have one in they needed to do an emergency c-section. I also had an IV. Although I wouldn't say that I had a bad birthing experience, I did wish that I could have had the opportunity to have a water birth, or at the very least give birth in my birthing suite with the lights dimmed and calm music in the background. Instead I was in a bright, sterile operating room. The doctors were nice and all the nurses were wonderful but it wasn't just how I had hoped. The room was full of people but I really wanted my mum to be in the room too. I was only allowed one person and that of course was my husband

I really shouldn't complain though. After being placed on bed rest at 24 weeks because I had funneling and my cervix was shortening, I gave birth to my two healthy boys at a day shy of 39 weeks. No NICU time. What I hope mothers of twins learn from this site is that there are other options besides a caesarean or operating room delivery – as long as their midwife or doctor give the okay.

Administrator
    Hi DoubleSunshine - I am glad you liked the article Giving Birth to Twins. I am trying to build up a really informative section on Twins Pregnancy. It is great you had a vaginal birth your babies. Trying to negotiate options for Twins is challenging.
    Hidden Content