Hybrid View

When is the best time to go back to work?

I have been a stay at home mum for a long time. I would like to help my hubby out financially but my youngest childwho is now 6 years old doesn't like me to go to work. I wouldn't want to come out as not listening to her. How do I go about this?

Dear MumR,

Thank you for your question - it's one which many mums ponder at some point.

I think you are absolutely right to prioritise your family. Only you and your family can really decide what works best for you. Sometimes both parents have to work out of financial necessity but, if you have flexibility with this, then it is worth bearing in mind that you can never get back these precious years with your children and it is clear that you have a wonderful bond with your daughter. Of course, working parents can also have a wonderful, strong attachment with their children but this may take more planning compared to a parent who is home all of the time.

Will your youngest be going to school? Are you considering home schooling? What age do children start school where you live?

Alternative options to both parents being away from their children include:

- working from home (in the evenings, when the children are in bed, often works best)
    - a job that involves your children such as childminding another child at the same time
    - sharing the work with your partner so that one of you is with the children in the daytime
    - flexible work such as dog walking and babysitting

Do you have any extended family who can help with your children and who your children are happy to be around? Does your daughter go to any sort of kindergarten that you could work around?

I know it's not easy juggling things but I think you are starting off wisely by prioritising your family life.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

It is my wish that I can be a stay at home mum. But my husband is against it for financial reasons.As best as I could, I take care of our daughters whenever I can and even though I am exhausted from work. I have been applying online for 4-5 months now looking for a stay at home job, to now avail. Any suggestion on how to balance work and family? or where to look for an online permanent job? Thank you.

Dear 2jhoan,

Thank you for your post. That must be difficult. What work sector are you working in at the moment?

You could try looking at online employers such as elance or odesk.

Have you considered being self employed or working freelance? Popular jobs for mums at home with children include: childminding, proofreading and selling crafts as a work at home mum. Obviously some of these options depend on your previous work experience and skill set. But I would encourage you to keep looking and searching through other possibilities to get the work-life balance that you hope for.

Another option is working in the evenings or perhaps on at least one day of the weekend when your husband is able to look after your children.

In the meantime, take heart that you are providing financially for your children and enjoying spending time with them when you are home from work.

Best wishes,
    LJ

I'm a stay-at-home mum for 2 years now and my kids are 5 and 2 years old. I actually love staying at home with my kids and share great moments with them. My husband is working but, of course, I have to prepare for my children's future. It is okay now for me to get a job? or it's too soon?

Dear Leslie,

I would say that each family situation is unique and only you and your husband can really make this decision. Some of the factors to consider are:

- Do you need the money now or are you managing on one income?
    - What would your financial situation be like if you went back to work taking into account childcare costs? Do you consider the extra finances worth this amount of childcare time?
    - What childcare arrangements would your children have? What are your feelings about this?
    - How well do you think your children would adapt to the new childcare arrangements?
    - What would the impact be of you working on family life?
    - How much would you want/need to work? (e.g. could this be part-time/ around your husband's work, in the evenings etc)

Warm wishes,
    LJ

My husband and I are both working before my younger child was born. It was my mother-in-law who took care of my child. It's different now because my mother-in-law is no longer here. So our choice is to get someone to babysit our children which I'm not comfortable with. So I think I should wait for them to grow older?

I think you have probably answered your own question there Leslie

I do think we need to be comfortable and happy with every parenting choice that we make. If you feel uneasy about something relating to your children then there probably is a good reason. You and your husband know them best of all!

Good luck with whatever you choose but please post back if you want a 'listening ear'.

Best wishes,
    LJ