Hybrid View

Question How old is the ideal maximum age for pregnancy?

I am now in my late 30's but I am still hoping to have a baby girl, My husband and I is not taking it so seriously, but if age is a big factor, then we have to be hurry and do on the double right???

P.S. and by the way my husband is now about to reach 50 years old

Dear Joyce,

Thank you for your question and let me start by saying I wish you and your husband all the best in conceiving soon.

You are right in thinking that age is an important factor in a woman's fertility levels. As we get older, both the quality and quantity of our eggs unfortunately decreases. This means that it is both more difficult to conceive and there are more likely to be genetic problems and so there is sadly also a higher chance of a miscarriage occurring.

When you are in your late 30s, your chance of successfully conceiving (in one year of trying) is just over 50%. At age 39, the chance of having a baby with Downs Syndrome is around 1 in 130. This risk starts to rise quite dramatically each year from age 40.

One interesting point to note is that 'older mums' (I don't really like this term) are more likely to conceive twins.

It would be a good idea to do some preconception care as you are hoping to get pregnant. You may also want to use an ovulation kit to predict for ovulate and then make sure you are having sex on your fertile days. You can also look out for natural signs of fertility (such as your cervical mucous becomes almost like egg white).

It would also be wise that your husband ate a healthy balanced diet and exercised too.

In terms of your husband's fertility levels, most men produce sperm all their lives. After age 45 some men's fertility levels do decrease slightly but the majority of men could still go on to father a child at this age. It may be an idea to get his fertility levels checked just so you know for sure?

Please do post back if you have any further questions about this.

Best wishes,

LJ