Question Is there such thing as Menopausal Pregnancy?

Is there such thing as Menopausal Pregnancy? What is the explanation for this? How can you be pregnant if you are already menopause?

Dear Joyce,

When the menopause starts to occur a woman's periods generally become more and more infrequent. For some women their periods will just stop very suddenly. Generally, however, a woman's body gradually ovulates less (i.e. her periods start to become infrequent and then stop). However, whilst this process is occurring a woman can still become pregnant (although it is rare) because she may still ovulate on some months.

It is recommended that women consider their contraception options for 2 years following the menopause as, for some women, ovulation can sometimes occur in this two year period. In other words, a woman should still consider that there is an extremely small chance that she could get pregnant in the two years following her periods appearing to stop.

The average age for a woman to go through the menopause is between 50 and 52 years old, however, some women do go through the menopause in their late 40s and unfortunately a minority of women go through the 'early menopause' before 45 years of age.

Does this answer your question?

Warm wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 6th October 2013 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Dear Joyce,

When the menopause starts to occur a woman's periods generally become more and more infrequent. For some women their periods will just stop very suddenly. Generally, however, a woman's body gradually ovulates less (i.e. her periods start to become infrequent and then stop). However, whilst this process is occurring a woman can still become pregnant (although it is rare) because she may still ovulate on some months.

It is recommended that women consider their contraception options for 2 years following the menopause as, for some women, ovulation can sometimes occur in this two year period. In other words, a woman should still consider that there is an extremely small chance that she could get pregnant in the two years following her periods appearing to stop.

The average age for a woman to go through the menopause is between 50 and 52 years old, however, some women do go through the menopause in their late 40s and unfortunately a minority of women go through the 'early menopause' before 45 years of age.

Does this answer your question?

Warm wishes,

LJ

Thank you so much, hmmm very well explained.

You are very welcome.

By the way, it may be of interest to you to know that one predictor as to what age you will go through the menopause is the age at which your mother went through the menopause.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    You are very welcome.

By the way, it may be of interest to you to know that one predictor as to what age you will go through the menopause is the age at which your mother went through the menopause.

Best wishes,
    LJ
    oh really, wow!! now I can say that I'm in the right page Thanks a lot
    and by the way too, my youngest son is named Lauren James, we call him LJ

Awww super name!