Hybrid View

Confused by LMP and Ultrasound EDD!!

My last period was on 21 August 2012 my cycles chnage but on average around about 32 33 days. Given that my last period was on the 21st my midwife gave me an EDD of 29th may 2013 which is 40 weeks from my LMP however when i went to my 12 weeks scan i was only 9 weeks 3 days and my due date changed to 18 june 2013 and my daughter came on the 19th june i was just wondering does this mean i actually conceived later than usual because thats a 3 week difference in dates and given that my daughter came around the time of the EDD given from the scan its more correct??

Dear Mellia23,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting your question here.

To begin with, I just wanted to note that the estimated due date is just that - an estimation. Only around 5% of babies are actually born on their due date. As I'm sure you know, most babies arrive between weeks 37-42. Therefore, it could actually be that you were more than 40 weeks pregnant when you had your daughter.

Early scans are the most accurate type of scan at predicting the due date. Therefore, it could also be that you ovulated later than you expected. I would say that this is particularly the case given that your cycles are not completely regular and are longer than the average.

So, we cannot say for sure as it could be that your baby was born at a 'later week' than average although it is statistically more likely (given the circumstances you describe) that your baby was conceived later than you first thought.

I hope this helps.

Warm wishes,
    LJ