Thread: Toilet Training

Hybrid View

Toilet Training

My daughter having problems how to let us know that she wants to poop or go to the lu. Please help me how we can change that attitude of her so that next time she want to go to the lu to poop, She can then tell us right away before she poop.

Dear gladys,

I wonder if you could tell me some more background information on your daughter to date so we can help to support you better with this. Does she do wees in the toilet? Does she sometimes do poos in the toilet? Does she use a toilet (with a toddler seat on top) or a potty? If she has started this process, when did she start?

I've just read an excellent, gentle and respectful article entitled 'Three Simple Steps from Diaper to Potty'. Please do have a read of this article and let me know what you think. What I particularly like about the author's philosophy to this stage is how gentle and unpressurised she is. She tells us to have confidence in our children and they will get there in their own time.

What I think is important is to genuinely praise the times when your daughter poos or wees in the toilet and not worry about the times when she does it in her nappy. In other words, focus only on the positive. We are also at this stage with my son and I sometimes feel pressure for him to meet certain standards at certain times. However, when I take a step back and look at my wonderful toddler I know that he will get there when he is ready. My job is support him and encourage him.

Apart from offering lots of praise another practical tip is to make the bathroom (or room with the potty in) a particularly fun place to be in. Keep special books or toys in this room. Let your daughter come into the bathroom whilst you use the toilet and make this an all round fun, and relaxed, experience.

There's another helpful article here about a gentle approach to transitioning from a nappy. Do you have any relatives with slightly older children that your daughter could watch on the toilet? Children love to learn by copying. Have you started to read enjoyable books with your daughter about the characters using the toilet?

There is a video clip here with Martha Sears talking about tips for toilet training and, again, learning to take the lead from your child.

I sincerely hope that some of these resources are helpful for you and your daughter. Remember - she will get there in the end!

Please do post back and let us know what you think.

Warm wishes,
    LJ