Hybrid View

Can you get hot flashes during pregnancy?

Well I have to ask can you experience hot flashes while you are pregnant? I am not sure, but there are times when I am hot, but I never have a fever or anything. I do not go back to my doctor for another week, but I am about 29 weeks along, so I am close to having the baby. I don't maybe it is just me or something like that. There are even times like yesterday I was needing air and the heat was not even on. I am worried, but I cannot do much when my husband is at work. I may have to go back and get seen early. Can you ladies help me out a little? Maybe that can save me the trip.

I don't know about any of the other mums on here, but I had hot flashes throughout all of my pregnancies. I have them during breastfeeding as well, though less frequently. I would imagine it is a normal response to hormones, not to mention the fact that our bodies are working a lot harder to pump blood during pregnancy.

Sydney, Australia
    During pregnancy your core body temperature increases - so it is common to feel hot. However hot flushes are really common however after birth and they are a response to hormones.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Yes, you experience those because of the hormones. I have read my maternal & child book that especially during the 3rd trimester, you would feel really hot. Your body's temperature rises. I remember when I was on the 3rd trimester already, I take a bath around 2am because the water's really cold and I really like it because it's so soothing and cooling for me.

I had hot flashes and it is perfectly normal to experience during pregnancy. It is because of the drop of estrogen levels. Changing hormone levels can increase blood flow to your skin, making you feel warm and flushed. You have to follow few tips to handle the situation. Make sure to sleep in a cool place, protect yourself from the sun, avoid alcohol and caffeine. Check here for more tips and what experts are saying about this