Hybrid View

Prevent Pregnancy

Hi I am Sherryl, I easily gets pregnant.
    What is the best way to prevent pregnancy? I just have to rest my body in conceiving a child. I've been using pills before but I got pregnant with my youngest child.

Dear Sherryl,

It sounds like you are very fertile then

Do you have a family planning clinic near you? This service should be able to go through your contraception options in detail. Your contraception options include:

- condoms: these are over 98% at preventing a pregnancy.
    - the pill; if you are breastfeeding then the mini pill is still safe to use. It is important that it is taken at the same time each day in order to work effectively.
    - IUD: this is inserted in the uterus and is a long term contraceptive option. Your doctor should be able to give you more details about if you would be a candidate for this.
    - Implanon: this is inserted into the upper arm and releases the hormone progesterone
    - diaphram: often known as the female condom
    - contraceptive injections: these are effective for between 8 and 12 weeks

Some families choose to use natural family planning.

Please do post any further questions you have here.
    Best wishes,
    LJ

I'm using oral contraceptive pills to have a regular period as well. And I'm planning to switch to injectable contraceptive. Will this also make my period regular? And what are the side effects of this injectable birth control?

Dear Leslie,

When women start having contraception injections that often experience irregular bleeding at first. After this initial time, many women will then experience no bleeding whilst they are having the injections.

Side effects include: weight gain, headaches and the possibility of bone loss. Less common side effects include depression and a feeling of nervousness.

There is more information about contraception injections in this Family Planning document.

I hope you find this information useful. Please do post back if you have any further questions.

Warm wishes,
    LJ