Hybrid View

What to do when your Anemic during pregnancy?

I have low hemoglobin according to my CBC test result. Now that I'm 7 months my OB is afraid that I have very low blood and its my 3rd pregnancy I have 9 and the normal range is 12-14. My OB's aim is to increase it to 12 so she doubled my Iron supplements but I hate swallowing those supplements. Aside from liver is there any other foods that can help me increase my Blood and is there any habits or exercises that helps too?

Dear Akima0523,

I would try and take your iron supplements. One thing to note is don't drink milk, tea or coffee close to the time that you take your iron supplement as all of this can actually stop your body absorbing the iron properly. Instead, it is best to drink something rich in Vitamin C (such as orange juice) at the time of taking the iron supplement so that your body absorbs the iron more efficiently.

Please do also note that you should not eat liver in pregnancy because it contains too much vitamin A to be safe in pregnancy.

You can eat plenty of foods which are naturally high in iron including: red meat, chicken, tofu, spinach, unpeeled potatoes, broccoli, cereals, nuts and seeds.

I hope this helps.

Please post back and let us know how you are getting on.

Warm wishes,

LJ

Oh I thought eating liver is the best choice and now i know its not. Im still taking the supplements and would like to take on your suggested foods. Thank you LJ for such wonderful idea.

I'm really glad those suggestions were helpful for you.

I hope you have a healthy, happy final 2 months of pregnancy.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

thank you very much LJ