what to do when your bub is crying?

. When my eldest son begins to cry he doesn`t breathe for about a minute. At this moment his lips become almost dark blue. I feel myself helpless in such moments, because I am afraid it won`t be enough air for him. What can I do in this situation?

Have you mentioned this to your child's doctor? I've actually not heard of this before.

What causes your son to cry so hard? Is it when he is throwing a tantrum because he didn't get what he wanted, or is it when he is scared or hurt?

Kate

Have you mentioned this to your child's doctor? I've actually not heard of this before.

What causes your son to cry so hard? Is it when he is throwing a tantrum because he didn't get what he wanted, or is it when he is scared or hurt?

Kate

He is crying when he doesn`t get what he wants. That was the right idea of yours. For example, when I say that it is enough to play and we are going to have a walk. In this situation when I want to wear him for going outside he may start this sort of crying.

Hi Mumof2Boyz,

If your son is crying because he doesn't get what he wants, then I would work on training him to respond with a smile and do what you ask rather than crying.

For me, I don't remember any of my 5 children responding by throwing a tantrum. There were times when they didn't want to do something, and I could tell by the look on their face and the fact that they were not doing what I asked, but they didn't throw tantrums. I'm sure this is because I made it very clear from about the time they were 15 months old, that they needed to do what I asked, the first time I asked, or there would be negative consequences. These were consequences that they really didn't like, and I only had to enforce the negative consequences rarely, because it got the point across and corrected the behavior immediately.

I also used redirection a lot, so that they were redirected into another activity right away, if possible.

Here's a good forum thread that may give you ideas on how to structure your child's day so that the crying happens less. We were discussing discipline for a 17 month old.

Hope this helps,

Kate

Dear mumof2boyz,

If your child's lips become blue you should see your doctor straight away as it could be a sign of low oxygen in the blood. In light of what you have described I would certainly make an appointment with your child's doctor straight away. If you are worried that he cannot breathe before this appointment then you should take him to the emergency department.

It is possible that he has central cyanosis or it may just be that he is crying so much that it affects his breathing; either way your doctor should assess him.

Best wishes,
    LJ