Thread: PCOS and Health

Hybrid View

PCOS and Health

Hello!

I recently posted about fertility and PCOS but i wanted information on becoming and staying healthy. I am currently over weight and in the past year I have gained a significant amount. I am 24 and I know PCOS causes weight gain and was told it's difficult to get pregnant when you're overweight too! I would like some knowledge on a starting point on how i can control my weight, lose some of it and stay healthy. I am an active person and play a lot of soccer actually my body figure just looks like i am not fit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,

How are you getting on? Have you been to see your doctor (I know we discussed this in your previous post)?

Many doctors agree that it is wise to limit your carbohydrates (potatoes, pasta, bread etc) when you have PCOS and this can help you to lose weight. Instead, eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as you can. You could try ordering a weekly fruit and vegetable box. A box which aims to feed 3 people should mean that just a single person using it is eating meals full of fresh fruit and vegetables.

It is also recommended that you eat plenty of wholegrains each week. This includes food such as: quinoa, oats, oatmeal and barley. Eating oatmeal for breakfast is an excellent way to start the day with plenty of slow-releasing energy. You will want to avoid processed food and it is also best if you can keep products containing high levels of sugar to a real minimum.

Please could you remind me how often you play soccer? Keeping active and exercising frequently is key to losing weight when you have PCOS, as I know you are already aware. You should aim for at least 45 minutes/ 1 hour of good exercise each day.

Another successful way PCOS sufferers can lose weight is by eating smaller more frequent meals. This helps to control your blood sugar levels. For example, you could eat 6 smaller meals a day rather than 3 main meals.

Does this help you?

You have my best wishes,
    LJ