Twins on an ovulation stimulation drug

I'm struggling with PCOS and only one way doctors can help me to get pregnant by giving me an ovulation stimulation drug. But it has a chance to get pregnant with twins or triplets! Should I still take it?

Hello annab,

I'm sorry that you have been struggling with PCOS. How long have you been trying to conceive for?

What fertility drug is it that your doctor has talked about? Clomifene clomid is a frequently used fertility drug - and it helps many women who have PCOS. You are right - it works to stimulate ovulation so this drug does raise your chances of having a multiple pregnancy. With this particular drug women have around a 1 in 10 chance of having a multiple pregnancy (in which case it would most likely be twins). There's around a 1 in 70 chance of conceiving twins without taking fertility treatment (although certain factors such as age, race and family history play a part in this).

Only you and your partner can make this decision. Having all the facts and information available will help you with this. It may also help you to find a local support for people who have had fertility treatment so you can hear others' experiences.

We have more detailed articles here on twins and here on fertility and conception.

With warm wishes,