Hybrid View

Chances of having twins?

Hi everyone!

Just a few questions while i was looking over all the forums. My grandmother on my fathers side miscarried twins and one of my sisters on my mothers side actually had twins about two years ago. Just a quick question, I am really just curious, what are the chances of having twins and is there anyway to actually boost chances of having twins? Thanks everyone!

Hello,

A woman is more likely to give birth to twins if there are twins in her family (rather than her partner's family) so your family history would give you a higher than average chance. It is also more likely in women who have had fertility treatment and in women who conceive after age 35 (although conceiving after this age is also unfortunately associated with some increased risks in the pregnancy). A woman is also more likely to have twins in later pregnancies (rather than her first two pregnancies).

You may like to have a read of this previous thread about conceiving twins.

The chance of having twins if you conceive naturally is around 1 in 80. With your family history I would estimate it would be more like 1 in 65.

Warm wishes,
    LJ