early prevention..is there?

Hi! Is there a way or things needed to be done or prepare to avoid depression after giving birth? I dont know, i guess i'm afraid of undergoing the process. Why are some mothers suffered post partum depression? Others not.... what's their differences? Is it support? Or attention? Is depression a normal feeling after giving birth? Oh! I am flooding you with my questions......

Dear Nadinne,

How are you? Apologies for the delay in replying to your post.

Postnatal depression (which is also called postpartum depression) is very common and is thought to affect around 1 in 5 new mothers. You are more likely to suffer from postnatal depression if you have suffered from any form of depression previously. It is also more common in mothers who had problems conceiving for many months/ years before having their baby.

The 'baby blues' are normal following birth but postnatal depression is different to this and requires help from support groups and medical professionals. The baby blues often occurs around 3 days after giving birth (the time when a woman's breastmilk often comes in much more) and a woman may feel down or deflated for a couple of days. However, signs of postnatal depression are:

- a low mood that you are unable to break out of
    - trouble sleeping
    - being unable to bond with your baby
    - low energy
    - being sad for long periods of time

If this happens to you then do not feel guilty; it is not your fault or anything you have done. The first step is to start talking to those around you (family and friends) and asking for help from your health visitor or doctor. There are also charities and support groups that you can get in touch with. But the main point is really not to suffer alone. Lots of women go through this and there is so much help and support available.

A multi-B supplement can also help with your mood. You also need to make sure you are eating and drinking enough, especially when you are breastfeeding too. Many women find that going out every day or going to playgroups helps them to make friends and get more more support as well as feeling 'normal' again.

Research has also shown that babywearing can reduce the chance/severity of postnatal depression because of the way it aids bonding between parent and baby. It also makes breastfeeding easier.

Please do ask any more questions about this important topic here.

Warm wishes,
    LJ