Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: electric breast pump
27th October 2013 01:49 AM #1
- Join Date
- Oct 2013
electric breast pump
i am a working mom, is it safe to use an electric breast pump?
which is much more better to use, the electric one or the manual kind. thank you.
4th November 2013 07:11 AM #2
Thanks for posting this interesting question.
Both the electric and manual breastpump are safe to use. There are advantages/ disadvantages of each compared to the other but really it comes down to personal preference.
The main advantages of using a manual breastpump are:
- it's portable e.g. you can use it in the car
- it doesn't need a power supply so you can pump anywhere
- some mums find a manual breastpump is easier to mimic their own baby's feeding (i.e. quicker pumping at the start and then slower as the letdown comes when your milk squirts out)
- for some mums the manual breastpump simply feels more natural
- quieter (I'm not sure if this would be relevant)
- you can express from both breasts at once
- your hand doesn't get tired from pumping!
- you can get electric pumps with adjustable suction ends to make it more comfortable
- many are fully automatic
- some can power from a car's cigarette lighter
- many mums claim that electric pumps empty the breast and so maintain their breastmilk supply better than with a manual pump.
Some mums use both.
Some hospital departments hire them out so you can try them before you buy.
Please do ask any further questions you have about expressing or breast pumps here.