During active labour it is helpful to be in an upright position; moving around if you feel comfortable to do so. Indeed, a birthing pool can help a woman to move more freely and easily as the warm water comforts and surrounds her. Despite what the Hollywood films may tell us, giving birth whilst laying on our backs in a hospital bed is best avoided as gravity cannot help during the second stage of labour (the 'pushing stage'). Birthing whilst laying down is also more likely to lead to a longer more difficult birth and, therefore, is associated with a higher rate of medical interventions.

What position did you give birth in? If you have had more than one baby and have tried different positions; which position did you find the most comfortable and helpful for the second stage of labour?

In my first (sadly, traumatic) labour I gave birth laying down and pushed my baby out for two exhausting hours. In my second labour my doula helped me to turn around so that I was leaning on the back of a bed (almost on all fours) - this position helped to speed up the labour and make it easier to push my son into the world. Needless to say, my second labour was overall a very positive birth experience.