How do you manage a toddler who's coughing at night caused by asthma?

my son coughs a lot at night when his asthma attacks, he's 5 years. what do you do with this? He has a puffer already. My mom told me to have a humidifier, would it help?

Dear Raf,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear that your son has problems with coughing. Asthma can be diagnosed around the age of 5-7 years old, before this the tests (such as the lung capacity test) are unreliable because of the age of the child.

There is lots of detailed information on childhood asthma available at the National Asthma Council Australia.

The latest advice is that de-humidifiers may be helpful for people suffering from asthma but not humidifiers (which can actually make asthma worse). The reason humidifiers are not recommended is because damp, humid air encourages the growth of fungal spores, dust mites and mould. All of these can trigger asthma. You should regularly vacuum your son's room and clean the sheets more regularly than you would for someone who does not have asthma to help reduce the amount of dust mites.

Some asthma suffers find de-humidifiers help to reduce their coughing at night-time.

What normally sets off your son's asthma?

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks for the reply! This week i am scheduling a doctor's appointment for my son. I might as well ask other remedy or ask about dehumidifiers effects on respiratory problems.

Thanks LJ for these information and the link..and yes i have to extra clean my sons room given his condition..I came to realise that it should be DEHUMIDIFIER and not Humidifier as what mom told me. At least now I know the difference. I'm happy you've heard of that too that dehumidifiers helps in coughing and asthma patients, i might resort of buying one.

Though I read also that some humidifiers can help in relieving colds,flu, cough even hay fever..somewhat confusing? anyway, what brand or kind can you suggest? have you used one?

My son has an inhaler for possible asthma but as he is only 2 he cannot be properly diagnosed for a few years.

We have not personally tried a de-humidifier yet; although I have a number of friends who have found them useful with their children.

We try to make sure we open my son's bedroom window in the daytime and shake out his covers outside to keep dust mites to a minimum. This seems to help him. He also sleeps propped up with three pillows under him if he is having a particularly bad night coughing.

Let me know how you get on with your doctor.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

I see, your son is too young to diagnose... sure i will update you Yes some friends of ours are also using dehumidifiers even those who doesn't have asthmatic children. isn't it the pillow to high for him, check his neck too..

It's only on a bad night coughing that we elevate him. I actually put the pillows under his head and upper back so that, as you say, his neck is not strained.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    It's only on a bad night coughing that we elevate him. I actually put the pillows under his head and upper back so that, as you say, his neck is not strained.
    LJ
    My doctor is not available yet so i asked a doctor friend of mine, the one you're doing with the pillow is good he says to help him breath. He also nodded with the use of a dehumidifier, there's no harm according to him in fact more on the advantage side..

Thanks Raf! Thats's helpful to know for all our forum members who have children with asthma who are following this thread. I hope your son's coughing lessens in the night.

Thanks again,
    Warm wishes,
    LJ