Hybrid View

Red face Depression during Pregnancy

Hi! I would like know. I am a single mum and I have been single parent since I was 4 month pregnant to my son. Since the daddy of my kid left, I was depress and lonely. Never thought that I will be a single mum. I have been working my butt alone with the pregnancy and so on. My question, is my depression that makes my son autistic? Or Is it because there is something that I ate? I know this is funny but, ever since this is a big question mark for me.

Hope you guys can enlighten me and thank you for this forum I was able to write and express myself.

Thanks,

Loann

Dear Loann,

Firstly, I wanted to say that there is no single known cause of autism. Please do not make yourself feel guilty about what you did/ did not do during pregnancy. There are no known specific foods that, when eaten in pregnancy, cause an increased risk of autism. Autism is more likely in babies whose mothers who were significantly overweight and had raised blood pressure. However, a direct link between the mothers' weight and blood pressure and the autism has not been found.

There was one study this year which looked at the link between maternal depression in pregnancy and the likelihood of a child having autism. The initial results did seem to show a higher risk of autism with mums who suffer from depression, however, this again is not currently believed to be a direct link but possibly caused by anti-depressants.

Autism Spectrum Australia say this about what causes autism:

'Autism has no single, known cause. Given the complexity of the disease, and the fact that symptoms and severity vary, there are probably many causes. Both genetics and environment may play a role. There is no evidence that autism is caused by a child’s upbringing or social circumstances.'

At the moment, no-one really knows what causes autism. There does seem to be several genes involved in autism.

Is this something that you think about a lot? Do you feel able to move on from this question without ever really knowing what caused your son's autism?

Thinking of you,
    LJ

Wow, thank you so much, it really mean a lot to me. It really enlighten me and I felt a relief. Although I research also by my own but still I can no confirmation about it. I'm glad that there's a forum like this and glad that I'm part of it now.

Thank you LJ, I also hope that all is well with you,

Loann