Hybrid View

Is it difficult to get pregnant at 35?

I've been on birth control for 10 years. What are my chances of getting pregnant at 35?

Hi Georgia,

35 year old women have about a 35% chance of conceiving, and each year it takes for you to conceive after that, your chances start to drop dramatically, until you have about a 3% chance of conceiving at the age of 43.

Kate

Thank you, Kate.
    So I shouldn't waste any more time and get to work...

Good Day kate, I am 35 years old. I have a 4 yrs old and a 2 yrs old daughters. My husband wants a boy. I told him I want to get pregnant again and hopefully it will be a boy this time, when I am 39 years old. Is this possible?Can I still give birth to a healthy baby boy at that age? thank you

Hi Jhoan,

If you want to have another child, I would not wait until the age of 39 as you may find it very hard to conceive. I was able to conceive just after I turned 40, and gave birth to a healthy baby girl a month shy of my 41st birthday. But the body tends to become more acidic as it ages, and the "little boy sperm" will find a more acidic environment harder to survive in which means it may be harder to conceive a boy as you get older.

There are some really easy things you can do to help increase your chances of conceiving a boy which means you may want to start trying for a boy soon (read NOW!) if you want the best chance of having a son. The longer you wait now, the lower your odds will be of having a child, and I've worked with many women who, sadly, waited too long, and ended up having to pay a fortune for procedures like IUI and IVF, and even those procedures couldn't give them the child they longed for.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I

Dear 2jhoan,

I agree with Kate's comments above - I would recommend trying to conceive sooner rather than waiting until you are 39. Could I ask why you wanted to wait to conceive at age 39?

In terms of the statistics, when you are in your late 30s your chance of successfully becoming pregnant (in one year of trying to conceive) is slightly over 50%. At age 39, the chance of having a baby with Downs Syndrome is around 1 in 130.

At age 35 you have a 70% chance of conceiving (in one year of trying to conceive). The risk of Downs Syndrome at age 35 is 1 in 294.

You can certainly still give birth to a healthy baby at age 39 but your chances of getting pregnant (as explained above) are less.

Wishing you all the best,
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Dear 2jhoan,

I agree with Kate's comments above - I would recommend trying to conceive sooner rather than waiting until you are 39. Could I ask why you wanted to wait to conceive at age 39?

In terms of the statistics, when you are in your late 30s your chance of successfully becoming pregnant (in one year of trying to conceive) is slightly over 50%. At age 39, the chance of having a baby with Downs Syndrome is around 1 in 130.

At age 35 you have a 70% chance of conceiving (in one year of trying to conceive). The risk of Downs Syndrome at age 35 is 1 in 294.

You can certainly still give birth to a healthy baby at age 39 but your chances of getting pregnant (as explained above) are less.

Wishing you all the best,
    LJ
    We, my husband and I wanted to wait for our 2nd child who is 2yrs old now to be a little older so that she can enjoy our attention.

Hello 2jhoan,

My first 2 children were 19 months apart and they grew up being best friends. They are now 20 and 21, and are still best friends. Having two children close together in age has wonderful benefits, as they have always have a play mate. I have five children, and every child had plenty of Mama time during their formulative years (the first five years). I always included the older ones in what I was doing with the younger ones. If I was feeding a baby, the toddler would come and sit next to me and we would read a book together. If I was changing the baby, the toddler would bring me diapers and wipes.

Truly I haven't seen where a child didn't have enough "Mama" time due to having a younger sibling who was close in age. Just make sure that if you wait to try for another child, that you won't regret it later, if you have a harder time conceive or are unable to conceive. You really are at an age now when conception becomes more difficult than when you were younger.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I must agree with Kate here.

Whilst having children who are close in age has its own challenges, you learn to adapt to these and there are huge benefits to a child who has a sibling close in age. Another factor to consider is that when you are older you may find having a baby more tiring and demanding. I would take some time to consider the increased conception difficulties associated with being aged 39/40 as well as the increased risks of certain syndromes for the baby. Of course, many mums do have a healthy baby at age 40 but this is certainly more likely at age 35.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi,

My sister is 6 years married already. She's 35 and her husband is 36 but she still didn't get pregnant. She almost did everything. She even quit her job and stayed home as they said that she might be stressed. She used to have injectible contraception. Did this affect her fertility? Is there still a chance for her to get pregnant and many said that it is dangerous to get pregnant when you reached 40.

Thank you.

Dear Leslie,

I'm sorry to hear that your sister is having difficulties conceiving.

How long have they been trying to conceive? It is normal for it to take up to a year to conceive. Beyond this time it is recommended that a couple see a doctor if they have not got pregnant in order for a couple to begin fertility testing and start fertility treatment if necessary. Have your sister and her husband had fertility tests?

Contraceptive injections do not have a long term effect on fertility. However, in the short to medium term it can take a while for a woman's fertility to return to normal after stopping the injections. It can take up to a year in some cases.

As she is still 35 this is certainly a safe age to get pregnant. However, at age 35 a woman's fertility levels start to rapidly decrease. Many women can still have a successful pregnancy at age 40. However, it is much harder to conceive at age 40 compared to age 35 and the baby is at increased risk of having Down's Syndrome and there is also an increased risk of miscarriage. This is because both the quality and the quantity of a woman's eggs decrease with age past 35 years of age.

Therefore, I would recommend she sees her doctor sooner rather than later.

Is your sister overweight? Does she have irregular periods. There is a syndrome called PCOS which is a common cause of infertility in women and signs of this are being overweight and having irregular periods.

Does she eat a varied, balanced diet and regularly exercise? These can help when trying to conceive.

Does your sister use an ovulation predictor kit? There are only 3 days a month when you can actually conceive and it is wise to predict when these are.

Please post back and let me know some of the answers to these questions so we can help to support your sister here.

Warm wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 31st December 2013 at 07:52 AM.

Thank you for the reply LJ. I have suggested to her to register in this forum for her to get the help and information she needed. Thanks again.

You are very welcome. We look forward to welcoming your sister to our forum.

LJ

Thank you and Happy New Year.