Hybrid View

What should I do before I get pregnant?

I'm 35 and I want to get pregnant.
    I've been on the pill for the last 10 years. What do I need to do to get pregnant?
    And I want to ensure a healthy pregnancy for me and my baby so what should I do?
    Are there special diets or supplements?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Georgia; 31st October 2013 at 11:38 PM.

One of the best things you can do to help increase your fertility is to do a nourishing detox. This is where you nourish your body while supporting your liver to help move the old hormones out of your body (the hormones you've been taking for 10 years to avoid pregnancy).

One of the best ways to do this is with a juice feast. If you did a juice feast for 6 weeks, focusing on getting 2 to 3 full heads of dark leafy greens into your diet (i.e. kale, romaine, swiss chard, spinach, etc.) the greens (chlorophyll) would be very cleansing and nourishing to your body and your eggs.

It takes 4 months for an egg to grow into an "adult egg" which is capable of being fertilized. The more you can balance your hormones with nourishing foods, the better quality your eggs will be and the higher the chances of ovulation occurring each month.

Here's a short video showing you how to do this, and explaining why it works so well to feed your cells (and remember, the egg that will eventually become your baby is a cell). It is critical to increase your health before you conceive because what you do before conception will affect the health of your baby.

If you don't need to lose weight, I would encourage you to add 1/2 to 1 whole avocado and some dates to your juice fast each day.

You can also take a look at this article that discusses preconception care, including supplements you may want to include in your diet each day.

Warm Regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 3rd November 2013 at 03:18 AM.

Thank you, Kate!
    I'll definitely give it try.
    I'm a little underweight..I've always been. Could this be a problem?
    I see no video link but I'm sure you didn't mean it .

Hi Georgia,

I have added the video to my post - thanks for letting me know I had forgotten it. Take a look - shows you how to make green juice and very educational about how to feed your cells.

You mentioned that you are a little underweight. Actually, being underweight can cause infertility. Increasing your weight by just 5% could make a big difference in how quickly you are able to conceive. The reason it's often times harder for a woman who is slightly underweight to conceive is because the body needs a little extra fat in preparation for pregnancy. Many women are nauseous and/or vomit during the first 3-5 months of pregnancy, which means they're either not eating much (because just the smell of food makes them sick) or they're not able to keep down what they do eat. This also means that many women will lose a few pounds during the first trimester of pregnancy. This is not harmful to the baby, as the baby will only grow to be about an 2 inches during those three months. Baby will then start putting weight on more quickly, and by the last month of pregnancy, will be putting on 1/2 pound every week.

So increasing your weight is important. You can eat an avocado a day, a palm full of raw nuts, like almonds, dates, and if you are up to it, you could even have a scoop of ice cream every so often (if you're avoiding dairy most of the time). But milk products cause inflammation, so I would stick with avocado, nuts and seeds. You can also put some olive oil on your salads - at least 1 tablespoon a day. And try to get some flax oil or flax seeds in your smoothies or on your salads.

It all depends on what you choose to eat. If you're doing a juice fast to detox as quickly as possible, then just adding an avocado a day should sustain you. Being underweight, you may want to just gradually transition to a really healthy diet, which is mostly raw (unless you have digestive problems, then you'll have to go with cooked for awhile).

You will also want to learn how to watch your body's fertility signs as soon as you are off the pill. I can help you with this.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Excellent advice from Kate above.

Being underweight also unfortunately increases your risk of miscarriage. Getting to a healthy weight before you start to conceive is a good idea.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you, Kate! And thank you, LJ!
    I've always had problems gaining weight because of my IBS.
    I have to eat healthier and more regularly.

Hi Georgia,

IBS is definitely a digestive disorder so I would recommend something other than raw foods to begin with, for you. The reason you're not gaining weight is because the food is not staying in your system long enough for you to take enough nutrition from it.

I would suggest the following, starting today...

Go off of all gluten products. This means all wheat and some other grains (do a search for gluten grains). Corn is a grain that does not have gluten, but much of the corn produced now is genetically modified, so I would eat organic corn products because those are not genetically modified (GMO). In general, I would eat very little processed corn (tortillas, corn chips, etc.) and if you're going to eat corn, eat it off the cob, or cook up some frozen corn. Rice does not have gluten, but don't fill up on it. You'll want to fill up on the fruits and vegetables and eat just a little rice.

I would also go off of all dairy products, sugar and caffeine (coffee, all sodas, etc.). All of these products and cause inflammation in the system, and the IBS is an indication of inflammation.

Try making a smoothie (you'll need a blender for this) out of fresh fruit and dark leafy greens. Spinach can be more irritating to the system, so start with something like kale, swiss chard or dark leafy green lettuce.

If your blood type is "O", then you may be able to tolerate small amounts of beef and chicken. Otherwise, you may find that you feel better without meat. In that case, you can get your protein from eggs, nuts, seeds and getting 2-3 heads of dark leafy greens in your diet each day.

These are the changes I would make immediately. Please post back with any questions. We're here to support you!

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thank you, Kate!
    I'll try it and see.