Hybrid View

How should I respond to my family when they tell me I am too old?

My boyfriend and I want to start trying for a baby, but my family keeps telling me that at 35, I'm too old to have a baby.
    This would be my first pregnancy.
    What should I do?

The first thing I would encourage you to do is to start your preconception care right away.

Then I would encourage you to get married and start trying for a baby right away.

I'm not sure why your family is saying you are too old to have a baby. It definitely becomes harder at age 35, but not nearly as hard as it is at age 40.

Hope this helps,

Kate

Well, Kate, some families are more "special" then others... They always seem to know better...
    I'll read about the preconception care and see how it goes.
    Thank you!

Dear Georgia,

I wish you an easy conception.

The majority of women can conceive at age 35. It is true that the quality and quantity of a woman's eggs starts to quickly decrease from age 35 but if you are healthy with no fertility problems then you should be able to conceive.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you, LJ!

Age does have an impact on a woman's fertility levels. Certain problems in pregnancy are also unfortunately more common for women ages over 35 years (such as miscarriage and the likelihood of Downs Syndrome).

However, most women of this age can get pregnant successfully and, as you say, have a positive birth.

LJ