Is it safe at my age to have a baby?

Hi! I'm Georgia and I'm 35.
    I want to get pregnant and I'm a little worried about the risks involved.
    Can you tell me about your experience with women my age?
    Thank you! And God bless you!

I had my 3rd baby when I was 34 1/2. He was born with Tetralogy of Fallot, a congenital heart defect, but he had surgery and did incredibly well (he is 15 years old now and everything looks great!).

I had my 4th baby when I was 37 1/2, and she had a minor hemangioma on her back which you can hardly see now (she is 12 years old now).

I had my 5th baby when I was 1 month shy of my 41st birthday. She didn't have any birth defects at all, and she was my easiest birth of all.

I had home births with all of my babies. I hemorrhaged right after the delivery of my 4th baby, but I think that's because I had an inexperienced midwife's assistant who tugged on the cord before the placenta had completely detached from the uterus.

All in all, I wouldn't have changed anything. I loved my home births, and the most important thing was that I took my time in interviewing my midwives and made sure they were extremely skilled. Even at the age of 28, when I had my first baby, my baby's heart tones dropped at the end, and were not recovering fast enough between contractions. The skill of the midwife I had with that birth, saved me from having to be transferred to the hospital for a C-Section and my baby was born absolutely perfect.

I did not have any of the normal genetic testing that is recommended at age 35 and older. I figured that no matter what, I wouldn't abort the baby if there were a problem, so it wouldn't matter to me. Plus, the false positives (tests that come back positive indicating a problem, when there actually is NOT a problem) were very high with these tests.

These were my experiences.

Warm Regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 3rd November 2013 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks, Kate!
    You're a strong woman for sure.