Baby tries to suck thumb while breastfeeding

For the last week or so, my baby has been trying to suck her thumb WHILE breastfeeding! Is there a reason for this? I wouldn't mind except sometimes she pinches or it just feels uncomfortable. I have tried taking her thumb out of her mouth, or taking her off the boob but she fusses and tries to put it back. It seems to mostly happen when she's sleepy. Has anyone heard of this before, or any ideas on how to deal with it? Thanks!

Dear Callie,

Yes if your baby sucks her thumb then she will break the latch and so be unable to get breastmilk anymore.

It sounds like your daughter wants to breastfeed until she is very sleepy and then suck her thumb for the final falling asleep part - would you agree? But I think she is then waking up just before she falls asleep and then wanting the boob again.

Have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley? I think you could use her 'Pantley method' she describes in her book to get your daughter to fall asleep with the final thumb sucking and not wake up again for a bit more boob. I can describe it if you don't have the book?

Does she sleep with her thumb in her mouth (when she is fully asleep)?

Best wishes,
    LJ

Yes, she does tend to sleep with her fingers in her mouth. I will look up the Pantley method, thanks!

It does sound like she is just falling asleep, comes off the breast, puts her thumb in her mouth and then wakes herself up...and the cycle continues.

I like Elizabeth Pantley's method (in The No Cry Sleep Solution) because it is a very gentle way of helping a baby to fall asleep without being on the breast, which it sounds like may help your daughter in your specific situation.

'Pantleys Gentle Removal Plan' involves feeding your baby until she is almost asleep and I've found an extract of the section of the book I was talking about here so you can read it!

Really hope this helps. Pantley's gentle methods have helped me and many of the other gentle parents that I know.

Warm wishes,
    LJ