When should I introduce solids?

On our recent visit to the pediatrician, he suggested we start our little girl on solids from 4 months to lower chances of her being allergic to any foods. I have been exclusively breastfeeding her up until now (she is 3 months). We have read many articles stating the benefits of exclusively breastfeeding up until 6 months. Please advise as to whether I should take his advice or continue breastfeeding for 6 months.

Dear mumtozoe,

I have to admit that I am very suprised that your paediatrician suggested this. As you say, the current World Health Organisation (WHO) recommendation is to exclusively breastfeed for 6 months and this means giving no other food or liquids for the first 6 months of life. The benefits of this are immense.

This article from the Australian Breastfeeding Association specifically addresses your question.

Is there any family history of food allergies or any particular reason why your paediatrician feels you should stray from the current WHO advice?

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi LJ,

We were also surprised by what he said as there is no history of food allergies in our family.

We will just wait for 6 months anyway

Thank you for your help.

Your bub will be being exposed to lots of different kinds of foods through your breastmilk- maybe there's something to the whole 'start early to limit allergies' with formula fed bubs, but I'd think it's definitely not relevant to breastfed bubs.

I 'start' mine on solids when they are interested enough in food that they can grab it off me and have a go at it sometime around 6 months, but like any guidelines, that's just a number and not a firm 'YOU MUST DO THIS' that will work for everyone My second bub was 5.5 months when she grabbed a bread roll out of my hand while sitting on my lap. I let her have a chomp and a play with it, and from then on, gave her bits of pretty much whatever we were eating if she was awake and looking interested. I noticed a change in her nappies (indicating that she was actually ingesting a decent amount of food) when she was about 7 months.
    R, mama to M (8), Z (5.5), and bellybabe due Jan 2014

[QUOTE=Asrathiel;8164]Your bub will be being exposed to lots of different kinds of foods through your breastmilk- maybe there's something to the w
    Last edited by Mumof2IVFmiracles; 19th November 2013 at 04:45 PM.

I'm pleased to hear that mumtozoe.

Thanks for your comments Asrathiel. This reminds me of a quote I like from the book Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley:

'I’ve been telling mothers for years that when babies start grabbing food from the table, they are ready for solids.'

It's as simple as that!

Thanks for your comments,
    LJ