How to teach toilet training

Recently, I practiced toilet training with my daughter (22 moths old). She is able to say "pee" or "poo" and able to ask me to go to the toilet when she wants to poo but still a failure when it comes to pee. I used training pants and it didn't work out well (3 wet training pants in 3 hours). Every 2 hours I put her on the toilet and nothing happened she didn't pee. Once I put her pants back..she pee on her pants.

So, I have several questions about toilet training :
    1. When is the right time/age to do toilet training?
    2. What do you need to prepare before you do toilet training? (besides a potty trainer)
    3. What is the best method for toilet training?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hi Adinda,

I have found that most children are not ready for potting training until they are closer to 3 years of age.

It sounds like your daughter isn't quite ready.

When I thought my children were ready, I would create a place for them in the kitchen, which had a hard surface (no carpet) that I could easily clean up in case the child was not able to make it to the lu.

I had a bathroom nearby, but if you don't then using a potty chair can be helpful.

I would set up a little table with chair and put out activities for the child to do. I had lots of drinks available because I wanted them to feel that sensation of having to pee. Drinking helped Then I would let them run around with a shirt on, but nothing on their bottom, and no socks. When they would start to "go", I would quickly take them to the potty, and then clean them up and clean up the floor. If they were ready to be trained, it only took one or two times of that before they made the connection between the feeling of having to go, and knowing that they should hold it and run to the lu.

I trained my first child in one day, using this method. But I waited to train her until the day after she turned 3 years old.

I also found that it was much easier for me to have the children in nappies or pull-ups when we were out and about, rather than trying to find a bathroom for them to use. At 3 years of age, they can usually hold it until we get to the car - at that point I put them in a pull-up and they go. Then I change them back into their clean underwear. No accidents, and no need to find a restroom. This was particularly important for me as my first 2 children were 19 months apart, and it was just easier not to be taking a baby and a 2 year old into the bathroom.

Here's another article with a lot more information on how to toilet train in just one day. You just need to be sure your child is developmentally and emotionally ready before starting.

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by 5Homebirths4Kate View Post
    Hi Adinda,

I have found that most children are not ready for potting training until they are closer to 3 years of age.

It sounds like your daughter isn't quite ready.

When I thought my children were ready, I would create a place for them in the kitchen, which had a hard surface (no carpet) that I could easily clean up in case the child was not able to make it to the lu.

I had a bathroom nearby, but if you don't then using a potty chair can be helpful.

I would set up a little table with chair and put out activities for the child to do. I had lots of drinks available because I wanted them to feel that sensation of having to pee. Drinking helped Then I would let them run around with a shirt on, but nothing on their bottom, and no socks. When they would start to "go", I would quickly take them to the potty, and then clean them up and clean up the floor. If they were ready to be trained, it only took one or two times of that before they made the connection between the feeling of having to go, and knowing that they should hold it and run to the lu.

I trained my first child in one day, using this method. But I waited to train her until the day after she turned 3 years old.

I also found that it was much easier for me to have the children in nappies or pull-ups when we were out and about, rather than trying to find a bathroom for them to use. At 3 years of age, they can usually hold it until we get to the car - at that point I put them in a pull-up and they go. Then I change them back into their clean underwear. No accidents, and no need to find a restroom. This was particularly important for me as my first 2 children were 19 months apart, and it was just easier not to be taking a baby and a 2 year old into the bathroom.

Here's another article with a lot more information on how to toilet train in just one day. You just need to be sure your child is developmentally and emotionally ready before starting.

Kate
    Hello Kate,

Thanks for sharing your experience, you are very helpful
    I am doing the toilet training slowly..at least she is able to say "poo" when she wants to poo and she asks me to go to the toilet with her.

Warm regards,
    Adinda

Hello,

I agree with you ladies that a gentle approach to toilet training is best. Your daughter is still very young. Letting her see you on the toilet and having a potty around (as well as a potty for her dolls and toys) should help with this natural process.

Have your read Dr. Sears' 13 Toilet Training Tips to Know Before You Start?

Best wishes,
    LJ