Tips for Tired New Parents

You have a new baby. Your world has changed. It is never going back. You are now responsible for this tiny bundle. Often sleeping, sometimes watching, frequently feeding. You are tired, exhausted even. You can't think straight.

All new parents have been there at some point. We have so many emotions flowing around; love, joy, fear, worry, contentment......it is normal to feel a combination of all of these.

What tips would you give the new parent that tells you they are struggling with tiredness? How would you reassure them? What help could you offer them?

I would say; relax and follow your baby's lead. If he needs feeding then feed him. If he wants feeding again then feed him again. If he only sleeps close to you; sleep close to him. If he wants to be held close against you in the sling for most of the day; hold him close in the sling. You are his everything. Respond to what he wants and you can relax. Sleep even. Don't worry about what this means for next week, next month or next year; just focus on the here and now. You are here and he needs you now.

How would you give hope to a new parent who is struggling with tiredness?

Hello,

Whenever what happen, you take a nap as much as possible with your bub, or else you will get a headache.

Whenever you are stressed because sometimes we do not know what to do when your baby is crying since you are a first mum. Just relax, take a deep breath. Inhale and exhale so you can manage to think and be positive.

Managing your time will be more easier for you to do things with your baby and for yourself.

Regards,

Loanngab

Thank you for sharing these tips Loann - great advice! I agree that as new mums we need to let go off the never ending list of things to do around the house/ emails to respond to/ letters to reply to etc and prioritise enjoying spending time with our baby and sleeping when they sleep. If that means texts are not replied to or the washing piles up etc then so be it.

I would also add to accept as many of the offers of help (for things around the house, food dropped off, meals etc) as possible. When I first became a mum I felt like I had to show that I was coping and that I could manage on my own; looking back I should have asked for help more.

Thanks,
    LJ

Thank you for sharing these tips Loann - great advice! I agree that as new mums we need to let go of the never ending list of things to do around the house/ emails to respond to/ letters to reply to etc and prioritise enjoying spending time with our baby and sleeping when they sleep. If that means texts are not replied to or the washing piles up etc then so be it.

I would also add to accept as many of the offers of help (for things around the house, food dropped off, meals etc) as possible. When I first became a mum I felt like I had to show that I was coping and that I could manage on my own; looking back I should have asked for help more.

Thanks,
    LJ

I think that it's too easy to forget that a healthy, happy mum means a healthy, happy baby. When you're tired and overwhelmed your own wellbeing may be the last thing on your mind - but no mum should ever feel guilty about taking time to look after herself, it's a vital step in looking after bubs too.