Hybrid View

Natural Ways to Help with Nappy Rash

At some point most babies suffer from nappy rash. This topic often comes up on our forum and members share their experiences at dealing with this rash; in this post I have gathered together some of the wonderful words of wisdom of our forum mums and dads.

Nappy rash occurs when urine and poo interact. It is a red rash that is sometimes a bit spotty in appearance, which occurs in the creases near the babies genitals and bottom. The best way to prevent nappy rash from occurring in the first place is to change your baby's nappy frequently and straight after every poo. You should also clean your baby's bottom and genital area thoroughly (cooled warm water and cotton wool is best for sensitive baby skin) and allow it to dry properly before you put a new nappy on.

Some mums recommend soaking cloth wipes in chamomile tea to use to clean a sore baby's bottom.

It is good to let your baby have some 'nappy free time' each day to allow plenty of oxygen to get to their bottom. You could lay your baby on a thick towel for half an hour each day and let him have a good kick around.

You only need to bath your baby every other day and newborn babies can be bathed less frequently than this. Try putting a tablespoon of oatmeal into your baby's bath to help sooth their skin.

If the rash gets worse and does not clear up after 3 days, or if you are ever unsure if it is actually nappy rash, then you should get it checked with your healthcare provider. You can also try putting a barrier cream (with contains Zinc Oxide) on your baby's bottom to help prevent moisture building up on the skin.

Please do post below if you have any more natural ways to help with nappy rash.

I have seen a nappy rash appear when there is only urine in the nappy. This is often times due to the urine being too acidic. If a baby is receiving breast milk, mum can try to eat an alkalizing diet with lots of green vegetables to reduce the acid in her breast milk. She can also take a calcium carbonate supplement to help pull her body in a more alkaline direction. I would consult with a midwife, nutritionist or medical practitioner that can help guide you in this. Eating lots of greens is definitely helpful.

You can also rub breast milk onto baby's rash, and if you don't have that, raw goat milk and raw cow milk may be quite helpful in helping the rash to go away.

Kate

Hi there

This might sound like an odd one but many years ago a Pediatrician gave me an article on the use of honey to treat nappy rash. Yes plain old honey. Placed on a clean bottom with a clean nappy I found it does an amazing job of cooling and calming the skin and resolving the rash quickly.

It might sound a bit icky and sticky but I found that my baby quickly adjusted as it must have felt so good on her sore skin. After resolving the bought of nappy rash that led to receiving the article, she never had much at all after that. If ever I saw redness developing I'd get out the honey and t would be gone by the next nappy change.

Regards
    Yvette
    Last edited by Mumof2IVFmiracles; 19th November 2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Thanks Kate and Yvette. Actually I have come across the honey idea before - some parents soak their cloth nappy wipes in chamomile tea with honey mixed into it. Honey is known generally for healing properties so its certainly worth a try.

Great advice Kate! I'd forgotten about those remedies; breastmilk is always the answer

LJ