Hybrid View

Astonishing picture of baby born inside amniotic sac in ultra rare phenomenon

Hi all

How about this for an amazing photo? [click on it to see a larger image] It was published in a number of newspapers in June 2013. The Greek doctor present at the birth snapped this picture.

Baby-born-inside-amniotic-sac-1933656.jpg

Newborn Baby Delivered Floating in Intact Amniotic Sac, En Caul, by Greek Doctor
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

This is an amazing photo!

I've heard if a few cases of the baby being born in its sac recently which have been during a gentle birth where the woman breathed out her baby (i.e. mother-directed pushing rather than coached pushing). I wonder if this is more likely to leave the waters intact?

With my second baby, my waters did not break until I was 10cm. I think my waters being intact up to this point really helped to cushion the intensity of the contractions. I note that Dr. Sears writes 'mothers hold onto your waters, they are there for a reason'. I wish I'd known this for my first birth where I allowed the midwife to break my waters with the aim to speed along the labour when actually I just found it more difficult to cope with after this had happened. Another reason, in my opinion, to let birth happen at its own speed and timing.

I'd be interested to hear at what point in labour other forum members' waters broke.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hmm, first bub, can't remember at what point my waters broke. Sometime during active labour though.

Second, it was the 3rd last push before she was born. Next push I felt her head come down and go back up, the one after that she came slithering out. Neither of those last two pushes were conscious efforts from me, my body did it all on its own :P
    R, mama to M (8), Z (5.5), and bellybabe due Jan 2014

Women's bodies are amazing aren't they Asrathiel?!

In my second pregnancy and labour I learnt to trust my body again and simply follow my body and baby's lead in labour. It was when I 'switched off' the interacting/ thinking side of my brain and 'went within' myself that labour came quickly and easily.

Thank you for sharing your story Asrathiel.

Best wishes,
    LJ

I had two different midwives for the births of my 5 children.

Baby #1 - midwife turned the baby with bag in tact (she was posterior) and bag broke spontaneously while I laboured in the bathtub.

Baby #2 - midwife let me labour all night (while she slept) and when she awoke she noticed the bag was still in tact and said, "I'd have been begging to have my bag broken hours ago." She broke the bag and baby was born 2 hours later. That was the point where I realized that when the bag breaks, contactions intensify.

Baby #3 - midwife broke the bag and turned baby (once again posterior, giving me back labour) and there was light mec in the water meaning that baby was under stress a little bit. That baby was born with a congenital heart defect. I wonder if baby's heart defect had anything to do with him being under stress.

Baby #4 (2nd midwife) water birth and bag broke spontaneously in the water just before pushing began.

Baby #5 - (2nd midwife) water birth and bag broke during pushing. In fact I remember asking if it would be okay for baby to be born without the sac breaking. That's when I learned that the midwife had delivered a number of babies in the caul.

Very interesting Kate, thank you.

My second baby boy had thick meconium in the waters (when my water broke at 10cm). I have wondered whether it was caused by stress to him because I didn't believe I could possibly be fully dilated (I was concerned that I may only be about 5cm at that point) so perhaps I had been resisting the pushing feelings and this had caused my baby stress.

LJ

I have had two hospital births and had my waters broken both times. With my first baby, I had been in labour 5 hours when my husband had stepped out for a few minutes to get some lunch.

The doctor came in to the room, took out what looked like a knitting needle and just broke my waters without explaining what was happening. I was terrified and upset and thought it could have been handled so much better. My husband was upset that it had been done while he was out of the room and that it had frightened me. I had gone into the birth feeling extremely anxious so that didn't help!!

My second was a high risk pregnancy so I was induced at 39 weeks and the same doctor broke my waters with the same implement. This time I knew what to expect so it wasn't as scary. It didn't speed up my labour on either occasion but the contractions hit me like a tonne of bricks!

I'm very sorry to hear that you were not treated with the proper care and respect when your waters were broken with your first baby twolittleboys. It is such a shame that the doctor didn't communicate properly why he/she wanted to break your water and what that would involve. You should also have been given private time to discuss whether you wanted this intervention with your husband.

Being scared in labour unfortunately changes the way a woman's brain and body deal with the labour and makes the woman more likely to tense up and 'resist' contractions (rather then breathing through/ with them) and so can make the contractions less efficient and the labour more painful and longer.

LJ

You are your own best advocate and I should have stood up for myself at the time! It was a strange situation where I had been induced and had been in labour five hours but the doctor was impatient that I wasn't moving along faster. I really didn't need those kind of emotions in the room at the time!

Child birth is my own personal Everest and I have always been very scared about it. I am so proud of myself for having done it twice now!

I love reading stories about people having peaceful births in the comfort of their own homes. It sounds so much more relaxed! I definitely resisted my contractions and although I had read about it on my own, none of my health care practitioners ever discussed how to get through the birth. I'm sure I was very underprepared!

I agree you can be your own advocate but in labour many women feel unable to do this. Partly, this is because in labour our brain tries to stop us interacting with what is going on around us so that we can focus all our attention on relaxing and letting the uterine muscles open. This is why many women choose to have a doula with them and their partner in labour. As one doula puts it:

'Our job is to listen to the needs and requirements of women and create a positive labour atmosphere that allows parents to feel empowered and positive so that they move into the postnatal period with a newborn well, happy and empowered.'

Sometimes, in labour, a woman needs someone else who fully understands her birth hopes to be her advocate.

A doctor's impatience and unnecessary interventions should have no place in a modern hospital.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

I have a friend who has had two 'happy and empowered' births and I always envied her

I must say that in spite of a few external things that I couldn't control (like my doctor's strange attitude) I look back at both births as mostly positive experiences, because I didn't think I could do it and I DID, and because I got my two wonderful sons out of the experience. Our bodies can do amazing things

I have seen quite a few pictures of babies born in the caul lately. With both of mine, my waters broke shortly before I started pushing.

Patti Ramos, birth photographer, has a few gorgeous pictures.

This is a lot more common in natural and homebirths. Midwifethinking has a really good post on how important the amniotic sac is in protecting baby during labour and why it should not be broken without a good reason!