Hybrid View

To Toothbrush a Toddler

Hi fellow mums! I have quite a dilemma that may affect the oral health of my toddler. My daughter used to brush her teeth everyday but overtime she started rejecting to brush her teeth at times. How do I encourage her to brush her teeth everyday again? Hope you could share some helpful tips as I am starting to notice the yellowing of her baby teeth.

Dear Mary,

I can really emphasise with you here as I struggled with brushing my eldest son's teeth when he was about 13/14 months old. He used to make such a fuss it was pretty much impossible to clean his teeth so I started asking for lots of advice from other parents and the dental nurse.

My main pieces of advice would be to persevere and to make it fun. How old is your daughter? My dental nurse recommended continuing to clean my toddler's teeth twice a day (in the morning and last thing at night) and becoming more flexible/ creative to deal with some of the difficulties. For example, you could clean your daughter's teeth when she is still asleep at the end of her nap time (even if she wakes up you will hopefully still have got a little teeth cleaning done). You could also keep a toothbrush and toothpaste in the car to clean her teeth for when she falls asleep in the car seat.

Up to the age of 6 years it is recommended by dentists that you clean your children's teeth for them. 7 and 8 year olds should still really have their teeth cleaning supervised/ checked by a parent.

There are some lovely books available on teeth cleaning which can help children to accept the whole process. We have also found that using a spare toothbrush to clean teddy's teeth helps our toddler to be happy to have his teeth cleaned. Clean your own teeth in front of your toddler so that get used to it as a normal part of the day. You can also buy character themed toothbrushes and toothpaste (we currently have 'the very hungry caterpillar toothpaste' which is a big hit in our household). Make up a teeth cleaning song to brush your kids teeth to or let them watch a funny teeth cleaning video clip such as this whilst you are brushing their teeth.

There are some fun Sesame Street teeth cleaning resources available online here. This includes a teeth cleaning game, a colouring sheet and a reward chart (if you want to go down this route).

For a young toddler, you may find a soft silicon toothbrush that you put on your finger and then use this to brush their teeth easier. I would also advise avoiding sugar as far as possible in your children's diet. This will not only help with their teeth but also their overall diet and even behaviour.

Please do let me know how you get on with these suggestions. Many parents struggle with teeth cleaning when their children are young but it will get better and it can even become a fun part to the day.

Thinking of you,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 1st December 2013 at 06:26 AM.

My daughter is 2 years and 7 mos old. She used to love brushing her teeth but as the time passed, she was more into playing and no longer interested in brushing her teeth. Unfortunately I think her teeth is starting to have carries or something. I get to let her brush her teeth sometimes when I brush in front of her or watch a children's app about tooth brushing. Based on your comment, I guess I'm on the right track I just have to persevere. I will try the rest of your tips as well, and hopefully she won't be scared of having her teeth checked by the dentist - I'm planning to bring her to the dentist soon.

Good Day, My two daughters have a stain on their teeth. I have brushed their teeth, and consult with a dental practitioner regarding the stain. The dentist said there is nothing can be done except when it will be extracted. However, I feel for my 4 years old because her classmates are telling her she has a dirty teeth. What should I do? Is the only solution really tooth extraction?

Dear Mary,

Yes keep going - it will get easier!

It is recommended that only you (and not your daughter) brush her teeth at this age. Have you tried playing brushing her toys' teeth with her and having a toy toothbrush around to play with? The Sesame Street teeth cleaning resources above are also nice.

Many dentists recommend that you can start visiting them when your child has their first tooth or at least by age 2. At first, your child can just accompany you when you go for your dental appointment and get used to the environment. Again, using role-play to practice going to the dentist can really help young children to feel more secure in a new situation. There are also some nice children's toys themed on visiting a dentist (e.g. the playmobile dental surgery).

Best wishes,
    LJ

Hi 2jhoan,

Tooth extraction of baby teeth is generally only performed if there is significant tooth decay or significant injury to a tooth. Here is a fact sheet about the extraction of baby teeth.

It is important to avoid giving your children sugary drinks and snacks and, at this age, to brush their teeth for them twice with a toothpaste containing fluoride.

If a child's tooth was not decayed but just stained then your dentist could give your children's teeth a deep clean or you could use some adult's toothpaste on the stain. However, it unfortunately sounds like your dentist has determined the tooth is damaged.

Remember that the baby teeth will start to fall out at about age 6. So if a tooth was not significantly damaged then your dentist may advise you to simply wait for the tooth to fall out naturally and be replaced by the adult tooth.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Hi 2jhoan,

Tooth extraction of baby teeth is generally only performed if there is significant tooth decay or significant injury to a tooth. Here is a fact sheet about the extraction of baby teeth.

It is important to avoid giving your children sugary drinks and snacks and, at this age, to brush their teeth for them twice with a toothpaste containing fluoride.

If a child's tooth was not decayed but just stained then your dentist could give your children's teeth a deep clean or you could use some adult's toothpaste on the stain. However, it unfortunately sounds like your dentist has determined the tooth is damaged.

Remember that the baby teeth will start to fall out at about age 6. So if a tooth was not significantly damaged then your dentist may advise you to simply wait for the tooth to fall out naturally and be replaced by the adult tooth.

Best wishes,
    LJ
    That's what the dentist told me. We have to wait until they fall out. The dentist did not say anything about putting medicine on their teeth.

It sounds like your children's teeth must unfortunately have tooth decay then.

Do your children each much sugar? How are they at having their teeth cleaned?

Warm wishes,
    LJ