Betadine versus Alcohol?

My daughter was born in a maternity lying-in clinic and is healthy. After cutting the umbilical cord, the midwife dvised me to clean the remainder of the umbilical cord with Betadine, which was unusual since she previously advised, when my first child was born, to clean it with 70% Isopropyl alcohol ( she's the same midwife who helped me give birth to my first-born ). Trusting her, I followed her instructions after returning home. Not week passed, I noticed my daughter having high fever and frequently cried as if she's in pain. True enough, when I pulled up her baby shirt up, I can see red spots, like burns, on her belly button-- and there's green, slimy, aweful-smelling pus. We took her to the
    hospital and she stayed there for 2weeks to recuperate. Doctor advised Betadine infected the umbilical cord and advised to use alcohol next time. Is using Betadine to clean a baby's umbilical cord unsafe? Why did my midwife gave such advise?

Ive only ever heard of cleaning the cord with warm soapy water.
    If it looks infected, the infant should be seen right away at the first signs of infection.
    Im so sorry that your little one was so sick.

I would call your midwife and see what sort of protocols she suggests. It could be that their was some mis-communication in your situation.
    I would report your issue to her so that she can be informed of the outcome.

Hope that your little one is healing and feeling better.

Blessings

Smile

Thank you, she's better now. I got to talk to her but she denied advising me to use Betadine. My husband got irate and planning to file a legal action against her. It put my baby's life in danger and yes, you are right, my girl got infected. Doctor advised NEVER to use betadine on baby's umbilical since it's sensitive and Betadine's formulation is way too strong.

Hope everything turns for the better. I appreciate your reply