No water, exclusive breastfeeding

I have read that breastmilk is 90% water if i am not mistaken..... so is it safe or ok for me not to give water after every breastfeeding? Also, when we say "exclusive" breastfeeding, does it mean no other liquids will be given? Except for breastmilk alone? Not even water?

Dear nadinne,

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended (by the World Health Organisation) for the first six months of life. You are right, this means that you do not need to give your baby any other food or liquid. You don't need to give your baby water. Your breastmilk will give your baby everything they need.

How old is your baby?

From 6 months of age, when a baby is developmentally ready, you can start to introduce other food to your baby although breastmilk should still be their main source of nutrients for the first 12 months of life. Once your baby is six months old you can give them a little bit of expressed breastmilk or water when they have their meals. Have you heard about baby led weaning. It is a fun, healthy and developmentally-appropriate way of giving babies solid food (from 6 months) without the need to liquidise or mush it.

It is important that you breastfeed your baby on demand, in the day and night, particularly for the first six months of life. This is because breastmilk works on a supply and demand basis so you need to put your baby to the breast often enough in order to produce enough breastmilk for your baby.

Please do post back if you have any further questions about this.

Well done for giving your baby Nature's Perfect Milk,

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Ok, water is no longer needed.
    Thank you, i havent heard of baby led weaning yet, its my first time to hear it, i have to research about it first. I'll probably come back and asked questions about it if i have a hard time understanding it.
    Thank you very much!

Yes that's right - just breastmilk for the first 6 months of life and nothing else. The way nature intended

Please do write back when you come to the weaning stage (from 6 months) with any questions you have or, indeed, if you need any further breastfeeding support before then.

You are doing a great job!

Warm wishes,
    LJ