I will parent naturally and joyfully. I will not parent out of fear. I wish I had understood this from the start. I wish I had known not to worry and to take each day as one adventurous, emotional, joyful, difficult day at a time.

This is what I want to pass on to new parents everywhere who are embarking on the life-changing journey of becoming a mum and dad.

When you have a new baby do not worry about...

-Getting dressed; dressing gowns and nightwear will more than suffice there will be time for getting dressed in the future when your baby is not brand new. Now is the time to get to know each other as a family in whatever clothes are most comfortable and easy.

-What anyone else's baby is doing; every baby is different; every baby is unique. You are your own family and you know your baby better than anyone. Trust your instincts and follow your baby's lead.

-How much cake you eat! This is not a 'I'm eating way too much cake' sort of a time. It is a time when convenience food can be helpful and you may need to consume calories quickly and easily.

-Meeting other people's schedules; you have a new baby so your family comes first. Other people may just have to jiggle their diaries around a bit to meet your and your babies needs.

-Getting household jobs done. They can wait, or better still one of your visitors can do them

-Asking for help and then asking for some more help and then some more. Breastfeeding, caring for a new baby, the postnatal recovery; it all takes time and most women needs lots of support in the early days. This is normal so please keep asking.

I hope you make wonderful family memories every step along the way.