Recovering from Miscarriage

Hello,
    My name is H. and I had a miscarriage about 5 months ago. My period came back the beginning of March- and I've now had 4 periods since then. My husband and I have been trying to to conceive for a few months now- however, nothings' happened.

My question is: my periods the last few times (and current) have been quite clotty. They have lasted about 5 days each time, but the only thing that comes out are very defined red clots.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Just want to know if there's an explanation for why the last few periods have been so clotty! Am I still healing?

Thanks so much!

H

Dear H,

I'm very sorry to hear about the miscarriage you experienced.

Please can I ask you some more questions in order to support you better with this. At what week of pregnancy did your miscarriage occur? Did you have any ultrasound scans during this time? How was the end of the miscarriage confirmed?

What were your periods like before the miscarriage?

Often the first period after a miscarriage can be quite different to normal - it may be much heavier than usual. However, most women's periods will have settled down after 4 months. Have you seen your doctor to check this? This would be wise.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

LJ,

Thank you so much for your kind response about my miscarriage- and for being willing to help me!

My husband and I found out that our baby died in my womb at what would have been the 10th week- however on the first ultrasound the baby measured at about 7.5 weeks... so that is when the baby stopped growing. My husband and I didn't really want to have a D&C so we decided to let things happen naturally. It took a few weeks after initially finding out about our loss for the miscarriage to begin... it was excruciatingly painful (emotionally and physically) and was "full force" for about a week. I ended up going to the hospital in the middle of the night because of the horrific pain- and that is when I had my last ultrasound. When they checked the ultrasound, it appeared that the baby was moving down so they sent me home to just finish it out. A few days later I passed the baby and placenta (it was pretty obvious) - and then the bleeding died down/HCG levels went down after that. That all happened at the end of January-

I didn't get my next period until the beginning of March- and that one was really heavy and felt fairly like a normal period. Before the miscarriage, my periods were always pretty short and on time... they would always come about the same time of the month and then bleeding flow would last for a few days. It was pretty easy! But my periods since the first one in March have been incredibly late each time and incredibly clotty. One of the cycles was 38 days and I took pregnancy tests thinking I was pregnant, but they came back negative. I went to my midwife because I was worried about what was happening but she confirmed through tests that I wasn't pregnant/having another miscarriage. It was just a super late period.

I guess what I am most worried about is how much my last few periods have been clotty. Do you think it could be a hormonal issue? Each month that my period comes, I have normal period symptoms- but I'm curious if I need help with hormones.

My husband and I are TTC- through using ovulation tests and checking my BBTemps, and each month has been discouraging finding out that we are not pregnant. Just such a hard thing to walk through... losing a baby and TTC again!

I called my midwife this morning to schedule an appointment- and will see her next week. Sorry I wrote so much! If you have any advise or thoughts about my situation- I would so appreciate your input!

Thank you so much!
    Haley

Hi Haley,

Thank you for your reply.

You have my thoughts - you have been, and are going through, a very difficult time.

Did your hCG levels go down to zero at the end of January?

Do you know what tests your midwife did in March?

It is unusual that you were in such pain during the miscarriage. Were you given an explanation for this?

It could be a hormonal issue. It is sensible that you are seeing your midwife again.

Have you tried tracking the changes in your cervical mucous each month? This is an excellent predictor of when your fertile period is each month. This previous post explains in detail how to track the changes in your cervical mucous.

How often do you and your husband make love?

Wishing you all the best,
    LJ