Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to conceive for months, still not successful

Hi,

My husband and I are trying to have our first baby for months now, we really wanted to have this. He doesn't pull out every time and still I am not pregnant. Also, there are some changes in my regular menstrual cycle since June 2015. Why is that? Please help.

I sometimes get jealous of my other girl friends who doesn't have any problems conceiving despite of their busy schedule.

Thumbs up Why Can't I Get Pregnant? Could be PCOS

Hi CrystalMaiden,

I know how it feels to desperately want to get pregnant and not be able to. I have five children now, but there was a time when I couldn't get pregnant. I figured out that I wasn't ovulating and I worked on my diet and balancing my hormones for about a year. Then I ovulated again and got pregnant right away. I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl 9 months later The good news is that even if your hormones are not balanced, there are lots of things you can do to bring them back into balance.

I've been reading some of your information and I'm going to lay out what I know here so it's all in one place.

• You are 24 years old and your husband is 27.
    • You've been trying to conceive for 7 months.
    • Height is 5' 5"
    • Weight is 75kg (165 lbs.) now, and you've gained about 10kg (22 lbs.) in the past year.
    • The extra weight you carry is distributed throughout your body, but your middle/tummy area is bigger than usual.
    • You have a little acne on your face, and a lot on your back.
    • You have a little hair on your upper lip (not very obvious)
    • You go to sleep after 11pm most nights.
    • You eat a lot of carbohydrates, especially sweets.
    • Your last period was two months ago, and it was not a "regular" period. You spotted for 2 weeks with only a very small amount of blood each day (maybe the size of a coin).

All of this creates the classic picture of someone who has PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). A woman with PCOS can have enlarged ovaries with cysts on the outer edges. Ultrasounds will often show cysts that look like a "ring of pearls" on the ovaries.

PCOS is similar to Diabetes in that there is an insulin resistance factor. When you eat carbohydrates it is converted into glucose (sugar). The body will release some insulin so that your cells can utilize the glucose, which is your body's main supply of energy.

In PCOS (and Diabetes) the insulin receptors that tell the body to stop producing insulin, don't work well and when those receptors can't tell that they've had enough insulin, the body will continue to produce insulin thinking it needs more. Too much insulin in the body can cause infertility - where the ovaries are not able to release an egg. PCOS is the number one cause of infertility now, and my guess is that our highly refined, sugar laden diet that many women eat, has attributed to the rise in the number of women with PCOS.

The good news is that there are many areas which you are in control of, and which you can change. I'm going to detail each area in a separate post in this thread.

The first thing I want you to understand is that it's important for you to see your doctor to receive a diagnosis. If it's not PCOS, please post back and I will dig deeper because it's important to find the cause of infertility and unexplained weight gain. But for now, I'm going to assume that you have PCOS because your presenting symptoms are so classic. Your doctor will do some blood tests and you should ask for an ultrasound of your ovaries. The classic ultrasound picture of an ovary with PCOS will look something like this (note the "ring of pearls" around the edges of the ovary - these are cysts).
    classic-PCOS-ring-of-pearls.jpg

Early diagnosis and treatment, along with losing weight, may reduce the risk of long-term complications. Some women with PCOS will develop Type 2 Diabetes and Heart Disease in the future. The sooner you can manage your blood sugar levels and balance hormones, the less cysts will form on your ovaries, and the easier it will be to get pregnant.

There are medications which doctors can give, to help control your blood sugar, and help you to get pregnant. I had a friend who was diagnosed with PCOS. Her doctor put her on some medications, and she was finally able to conceive and give birth to her baby girl after years of trying.

There are lots of things you can do on your own, without medications, to control your blood sugar and balance your hormones. I'll discuss those in individual posts below but first, please watch this video on how sugar affects the brain. Remember, when the brain is affected, hormones are affected and fertility can be affected.

Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 15th September 2015 at 08:25 AM.

Thumbs up PCOS Diet / Diabetes Diet

Diet is a very big area you can control when trying to increase your fertility, even if you have PCOS or Diabetes. In fact the diet for PCOS and Diabetes are the same.

In PCOS and Diabetes, the main focus is controlling blood sugar levels by what you put in your mouth. This would include food, beverages and supplements (vitamins, minerals, herbs, oils, etc.).

The first thing you'll want to do is eliminate all sugar, honey, fructose, maple syrup, agave nectar, rice syrup or any other sweetener that causes blood sugar to rise. Use natural substitutions like stevia (made from the leaf of the stevia plant) and sugar alcohols (which do not have alcohol in them, though the name may imply it).

Sugar Substitutes

Sugar alcohols are one type of reduced-calorie sweetener. You can find them in ice creams, cookies, puddings, candies and chewing gum that is labeled as "sugar-free" or "no sugar added." Sugar alcohols provide fewer calories than sugar and have less of an effect on blood glucose (blood sugar) than other carbohydrates.

Examples of sugar alcohols are:

Erythritol
    Glycerol (also known as glycerin or glycerine)
    hydrogenated starch hydrolysates
    isomalt
    lactitol
    maltitol
    mannitol
    sorbitol
    xylitol

Sugar alcohols can have a laxative effect or produce gas, bloating or burping in some people. Other people have no problem at all. Xylitol is the one I've heard most people complain about. Erythritol seems to be better for those people. I actually make my own "sweet blend" from a combination of Erythritol and Stevia. I use 1 cup of Erythritol plus 1 tsp. Stevia. You can make it sweeter by adding more stevia. It all depends on the quality and sweetness of your stevia. If your stevia is very sweet, just 1 c. Erythritol plus 1 tsp. stevia (mixed together) can be 4 times as sweet as sugar.

I've found that there are mints made with sorbitol, and I've even found frozen chocolate fudge bars made with stevia and sorbitol. Those fudge bars would still be considered a treat (not every day) but still a much better choice than the typical frozen fudge bar.

Some people find that if they have the taste of sweet (even if it's not increasing blood sugar much) that this creates a craving for more sweets, so they prefer to leave sweets out of their diet completely, and that's just fine.

Fruit

You'll want to limit yourself to berries (not blueberries, but all other berries) and fruit with stone pits. That would be peaches, plums and the like. These fruits will not increase your blood sugar as much as other fruit. Just one piece of stone fruit a day is all your body may be able to handle in order to keep blood sugar levels low. You should be able to eat more berries, but don't overdue it. Fruit is still sugar and needs to be treated as such.

Carbohydrates
    Eliminate all sugars (not sugar substitutes), white flour, refined products, corn, green peas, potatoes, rice and pasta.

Those are pretty much agreed upon by everyone if you need to control your blood sugar levels. But there are two schools of thought on the rest of the grains...

Some say eliminate all grains including quinoa, brown rice, and oats, which we often thing of as "healthy" grains.

Others say you can have a little of these grains as long as you don't eat them with any fat. This is what the Trim Healthy Mama community is teaching. If you're going to eat carbs, don't eat them with fat. Wait 2 1/2-3 hours, and then eat a snack or meal of carbs. But never go over 40 grams of carbs in one meal. Fats alone (with animal protein) and carbs alone (with lean animal protein like chicken).

Protein

Protein is SUPER important in balancing blood sugar AND for increasing fertility. High quality animal protein has all of the amino acids needed for creating healthy eggs (and sperm), and healthy eggs and sperm create healthy babies.

If you're wanting to lose weight, then leave the nuts and seeds out for now and really focus on high quality animal protein like beef, lamb, chicken, turkey and low-mercury fish.

You'll want to try to get grass-fed beef and free-range organic chicken/turkey. But if you can't find these, then it's still super important to eat high quality animal protein. One doctor suggests eating fish every day, so that would be 7 times a week. There are some much needed omega-3 fatty acids that you'll get when consuming fish and this will help with your PCOS or diabetes and will also help balance hormones and increase fertility.

Some doctors suggest eliminating eggs from the diet in case you are reactive to the lectins in the eggs, as this can also cause imbalances in insulin levels. You could always eliminate them for 2 weeks, and if your blood sugar levels are below 120 for an entire week, then add the eggs back in and see if your blood sugar level increases.

If you have no problem with eggs, and you are eating oats, you can use the egg whites in combination with oats and cottage cheese to make really yummy pancakes that are high protein, low carb.
    thm-pancakes.jpg

Trim Healthy Mama Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancake Recipe:
    1 cup rolled oats (blended in blender to make flour)
    1 cup egg whites (I like to use farm fresh free range eggs, but you can use egg whites from a carton. I've done both.)
    1 cup low-fat or non-fat cottage cheese
    2 tsp. baking powder (fresh baking powder makes fluffier pancakes)
    2-3 tsp. Truvia or Sweet Blend if you want them a little sweet (optional)

Place oats in blender. Put lid on and blend until the oats become flour. Add egg whites and cottage cheese. Blend well, add baking powder and sweetener and pulse until just mixed in. Pour batter on hot griddle. Non-stick griddle is best, and sometimes I'll put a little butter on the griddle to keep them from sticking, but if you have a non-stick pan that works well, you should avoid the butter.

I love to serve these with sweetened berries. I usually have frozen blackberries or strawberries in the freezer, so I thaw those, add sweet blend and crush. I ladle that over the pancakes.

If you want lots of good ideas for low-carb, high protein eating, please take a look at Trim Healthy Mamas on facebook.

Vegetables
    You can eat as many vegetables as you like except no white potatoes (sweet potatoes and yams are alright in moderation, no corn, and only peas in moderation. Greens are great! Eat two salads a day, if you can, and steamed vegetables whenever you want them. Salad dressings should be used in moderation - ask for your dressing on the side when you go out to eat, and try to avoid the creamy ones. Add lots of colorful vegetables to your salads as each color offers different nutrients that your body needs.

Fats
    Coconut oil is your friend - actually all things coconut as long as it's unsweetened coconut. Olive oil and grass fed butter are also good. I like the grass fed butter for helping to re-build my tooth enamel (did you know you could do that?). Cavities disappear with low stress in your life, and healthy fats like grass-fed butter and grass-fed beef.

Avocados - you can eat 1/2 avocado a day if trying to lose weight, and a whole avocado a day if you're not trying to lose weight.

Fish Oil - Taking a high quality fish oil / cod liver oil / krill oil / salmon oil supplement is important if you haven't been eating lots of fish all your life. This helps control blood sugar levels and will also benefit fertility and eggs/sperm.

Beverages / Drinks

Pure water is your friend. You need to be sure you are getting plenty of water every day. A good start is 8 - 8 ounce glasses of water a day.

Pure bone broth. My favorite is chicken broth. I bake up a chicken, let it cool, remove the chicken from the bones, and then put the bones in a pot. I cover it with pure water and pressure cook it for 2-3 hours. You could cook it on the stove for 4 or 5 hours. Let it cool, and pour the broth into containers (I like to use glass jars). Place the jars in the refrigerator. The next day, skim the fat off the top of the broth, and drink the broth. 1 cup of broth a day is wonderful, and you can have more if you want it. You can also add salt to the broth to taste. You can also use this broth to make soups. Add a little chicken and some cut up green onions for a warm lunch. Eat that with a nice, big green salad and you have a full meal.

Extra Tips
    - Eat within 30 minutes of opening your eyes in the morning. This will tell your body that you're not "starving", after not eating during the night. It starts your metabolism going instead of the body thinking it needs to hold onto extra fat.

- Always eat protein at every meal. If you eat carbs, be sure to have lean protein with it, like chicken breast. This will help your blood sugar levels not to spike. So Fruit plus non-fat yogurt would be a carb with low fat protein. Fruit plus non-fat or low-fat yogurt works too.

- If you want to give your body an extra jump at increasing fertility, eliminate dairy products. Dairy causes inflammation in the body and PCOS is an inflammatory condition.

I will discuss more areas you can change in future posts below but diet is one of the biggest and it's something you can start immediately to improve your fertility.

Please post back with any questions.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Improve Fertility By Reducing Stress and Increasing Rest

PCOS and balancing hormones can be improved by reducing stress and increasing rest.

Rest and Sleep

If you are going to sleep after 11pm at night, you are actually taking energy away from your body, and doing this for a continued amount of time can result in illness.

Here's what my nutritionist shared with me:

In bed by 9:00pm and you're allowing the body to regenerate and put energy back into the body. This is needed for improved fertility.

In bed by 10:00pm and you're breaking even.

In bed by 11:00pm or later and you're taking energy away from your body which often results in a lower immune response and eventually some kind of disease state.

If you're going to bed later than 10pm, just start going to bed 15 minutes earlier each night until you're in bed by 10:00pm (or better yet, 9:00pm).

Another way to get more rest is to take at least one 20 minute nap in the middle of the day. This is called a "power nap" and can give you that extra needed rest to get through the rest of the day.

My nutritionist told me to take a 5 minute break each hour to lay down on the couch and just close my eyes and do some deep breathing.

Deep breathing helps to expel toxins from your body so the body will work better and be healthier. Here's a video which helps you understand exactly what deep breathing is and why it is beneficial.

No matter what you do, you MUST get plenty of rest if you want to increase your fertility and have that baby you desperately want. Once baby gets here, rest will not be as plentiful, as you find yourself feeding your baby every two hours, day and night ;-)

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thank you so much for explaining everything to me, Kate. It is a great help!

Supplements To Increase Fertility / Reverse Infertility / PCOS

If reversing infertility were as easy as taking a pill, many women would do it. Yet many women don't know that there are some health promoting pills that you can take to balance your hormones so that you can get pregnant faster.

I'm going to discuss the supplements that I think are the most beneficial for every woman of child bearing age, along with some very specific supplements which can help to reverse Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome also known as PCOS.

Fish Oil

Many women do not eat enough fish that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids. Fish which are low in mercury and good for fertility and pregnancy include Wild Salmon, Sardines and Herring.

If you're one of the many women who aren't eating plenty of fish each week, you're likely not getting enough Omega-3 fatty acids in your diet, and this is a big contributor to hormonal imbalance and infertility. If you get cramps during your period taking Omega-3 pills throughout the month can help to alleviate cramps in the future.

I've heard many doctors say that if they could recommend just two supplements for people to take the rest of their life, high quality Fish Oil would be one of them. My current preference is Wild Caught Salmon Oil but I've also taken Cod Liver Oil and Krill Oil in the past. Just make sure it's high quality because you don't want to take an oil which is rancid.

Folic Acid or Folate

My third child was born with a congenital heart defect (Tetralogy of Fallot) and my doctor put me on a high dose of folic acid after his birth. The reason I was to take 5 mg. of folic acid each day was to boost my body's stores because we knew we were hoping to have another baby in the future. I had not taken any supplements during or any of my pregnancies up to that point and I had breastfed my babies for 1-3 years each, so my body was depleted of crucial nutrients. Taking even 1,000 mg of folic acid before pregnancy can help ensure that your eggs are healthy and lower the risk of a child being born with a congenital defect, like Spina Bifida, a heart defect or something else. The good news is that even if your child is born with a congenital defect, there are wonderful procedures available to help baby to overcome that challenge.

Vitamin D

Most people are actually deficient in Vitamin D because our lifestyle simply doesn't support getting out in the sun enough each day. In one study, 93 % of infertile women were vitamin D deficient. In another study 2/3 of the women were vitamin D deficient.

If most of your body is getting sunlight twice a day, 15 minutes a day, you may be okay. But how many of us actually sunbathe in the nude twice a day? My 17 year old son has a dog walking business, and he's out in the sun 5 days a week for 2-4 hours. He had some symptoms that made me wonder if he was low in Vitamin D, even though he was in the sun so much, and guess what?!?! He was low in Vitamin D. This was a young man who walked with short sleeves each day, but the rest of his body was covered, and he wore a hat.

It's important that you and your husband have your Vitamin D levels checked. Vitamin D plays a big role in healthy semen and sperm production. It also plays a role in women's fertility, and low Vitamin D levels have been associated with many different metabolic factors in women with PCOS.

Many things can influence your personal vitamin D levels... things like sun exposure, the color of your skin, what part of the world you live in, and even the amount of healthy omega-3 fat in your diet. This is why it's so important to ask your doctor to please perform a Vitamin D test to see what your levels are. You want them to be in the upper normal range (low normal is considered by many to be a deficiency).

The Vitamin D Council recommends taking 1,000 iu of Vitamin D for every 25 pounds of body weight. Dr. Mercola recommends 1,000 iu for every 30 pounds of body weight. If you weigh 125 pounds, that's going to be about 5,000 iu of Vitamin D each day.

I take Vitamin D3, but some women, especially those who have digestion challenges, will need to take a special form of Vitamin D called Emulsified Vitamin D. This form of vitamin D is easier to digest.

I also take Vitamin K2, with a 7th half life along with the Vitamin D to be sure the Vitamin D helps calcium go to the bone, and to help protect you from cardiovascular calcification.

Here's a good video explaining the connection between Vitamin D deficiency and Infertility

Multi-Vitamin

Taking a Multi-Vitamin is just going to boost your overall fertility and health. The nice thing about this, is that if you don't know that you're deficient in a particular nutrient, often taking a high quality, food grade, multi-vitamin can give you what you're missing.

It's important to think about what you would eat and drink and the supplements you would take during pregnancy, and to do those BEFORE you get pregnant. If you would take a prenatal vitamin supplement during pregnancy, then take a multi-vitamin before you get pregnant. This also goes for avoiding things. If you wouldn't drink alcohol or smoke during pregnancy, don't do it before you get pregnant. You need to be preparing your eggs (and his sperm) to be the healthiest they can be, so you have the best chance of conceiving a truly healthy baby.

Supplements for PCOS

Recently I discovered how important Iodine is for women who have polycystic breast syndrome. Apparently many women with cysts in the breast tissue have seen remarkable results after taking the proper dosage of iodine. The cysts simply disappear.

And that got me thinking... if it's good for reducing or even eliminating cysts in breast tissue, I wondered if it would be good for eliminating cysts on the ovaries. PCOS creates cysts on the ovaries (see my post above) and these cysts make it very difficult for eggs to be released.

So I did a little research (didn't have to look far) and I found that, YES, iodine supplementation CAN help with PCOS.

Here's a good video that discusses why Iodine deficiency occurs (taking "The Pill" is one cause) and how to increase your iodine levels.

I want to add one more video from "Dr. Brown" on Iodine and PCOS. He addresses it in the second question that he answers.

Thanks so much for all your help

Exclamation

I'm really hoping that although you've posted this in 2012, you still see my comment!
    I'm a 20 year old female, who has been diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyroidism.
    I have a question in regard to ones diet. I've always gotten different and mixed opinions when it comes to eating meat. Do you think that eating meat (as its an important form of protein), is fine? Even though in the day and age we live in, meat is pumped with excess hormones. Would this not effect my hormones too? I live in an area which isn't very easy to find 'hormone free' meat, which makes life a whole lot harder.
    Just so confused!
    Last edited by Ibbie; 28th July 2016 at 11:07 PM.

Hi Ibbie,

Welcome to the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond forum.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with PCOS. The good news is that most PCOS sufferers, with the right management of the condition or medication if necessary, are able to successfully conceive.

Are you trying to conceive currently or planning for the future? Has your doctor spoken to you about any management or treatment of your PCOS currently?

Some women who have PCOS do not ovulate at all. Others have irregular periods. Do you have periods? If so, what are they like?

As an aside, women who suffer from PCOS have a higher chance of conceiving if they have just come off the pill.

What is your weight like currently? I know that it is more difficult to manage your weight when you have PCOS but even a 5% change in your weight towards the normal BMI range can significantly improve your fertility levels.

You probably are already aware that you should try to keep carbohydrates to a minimum. I expect you are also aware that you should keep sugary and processed foods to a minimum.

Some PCOS sufferers find it beneficial to eat smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. This can help you to control your weight easier. Do you currently have a weekly exercise program? Exercising for at least 45 minutes a day will also help you to control your weight.

You should aim to pack your diet full of as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible (the organic variety would be even better). You should also try to eat lots of wholegrain foods, for example: oatmeal, quinoa, barley and oats. Wholegrain foods will release energy slowly.

In terms of meat, white meat is thought to be a useful form of protein for PCOS sufferers as is fish. If these are organic then even better. I wonder if there is a farm you could go directly to in order to buy hormone-free, organic meat? Note that grass-fed meat often contains fewer proteins.

What other forms of protein do you currently eat? Does your diet contain beans, pulses or nuts?

Wishing you all the best,
    LJ

Hi!

I, myself, had suspected it for a few years that I was suffering with PCOS, so I'm somewhat at ease knowing that I do actually have it, so know I can focus on healing it. I'm not currently trying to conceive, but planning to in the future! My doctor has been quiet vague about my treatment of PCOS, and doesn't see the need to do anything about it just yet (which frustrated me a bit). So I've started going to a natural practitioner who has put me on a variety of vitamins to help regulate my hormones! Only 2 weeks in, so still a long way to go.

I do get periods, just irregular. Generally, on an average basis, 1-3 weeks later then expected, but they DO end up coming. They last for 6 days, and thats how its been from the very start of ever getting my period. Also, (seeing how women with PCOS tend to not have a 'set' cycle length) my cycle is on AVERAGE, 42 days. I've never been on the pill, and to be honest, not too sure if I will be going on it anytime soon. I'm really focusing on fixing the core issue at the moment.

My weight is not an issue at all. Im 60kg, and for a 20 year old, I'd say thats in the good range. Although, I find it extremely hard to put on weight. And really easy to lose weight. I've been going to a gym for 5 months now. Unfortunately due to work related issues, its been hard to go regularly. But since I've been diagnosed with PCOS, i've tried to make sure I add in a few more hours each week. I go in to gym for about 50 minutes, only 3 times a week. So, thats something I still need to work on!

Coincidently, I was looking online last night, and found a supermarket that sells hormone free and organic chicken! So i've decided to purchase from there! I've definitely been trying to add in more fruit and vegies into my diet. Also, I've been trying to avoid dairy.

Although, unfortunately, approximately 4-5 years ago, I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism. And its only occurred to me recently that both PCOS and Hypothyroidism may have a link. And can also therefore both make conceiving a difficult time. I've been taking thyroxine pills (100 micro gram) for quiet a while know but my local GP hasn't really kept up to date with my thyroid levels. My natural practitioner will be though. Really sucks, but, better to know now then later!

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Kind Regards,
    Ibbie
    Last edited by Ibbie; 29th July 2016 at 11:37 AM.

Hi Ibbie,

I'm really pleased to hear that you are getting support from the natural practitioner. If you feel that your GP isn't giving you the right support then you could consider swapping to another doctor.

Do you know what your body mass index (BMI) is? This is more important than your weight alone. You can calculate it online here.

Your exercise regime sounds good, just needs a bit of an increase, but it's certainly a good foundation.

It sounds like you are making some very wise decisions about your diet too. I'm pleased to hear you were able to find a source of organic chicken. Do you eat much fish?

I know other forum members have found this PCOS sample menu and recipe planner helpful. There are some nice PCOS friendly recipes here too which come previously recommended.

You are right, it is much better to get your condition under control now so that when you do what to conceive you don't need to start making big lifestyle changes at that point.

Wishing you all the very best,
    LJ

Tui nữa nè

Còn ai thuê nữa k v*y ?

Vứt tiền có người l*m cho