Hybrid View

friend's miscarriage question

I have a dear friend who had a miscarriage four weeks before taking a preg test. Using a digital test it indicated she was 3+ weeks pregnant. She has had some spotting, old brown blood, over the two weeks since doing the test and is concerned about another miscarriage. Is it possible her body is still carrying chemicals that the test is reading and indicating a pregnancy? Could she not be pregnant but is is the chemicals in her system from the last pregnancy which give are giving a positive result? What do you think?

Dear carer,

I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's miscarriage. It is so hard when anyone loses a baby. My thoughts are with your friend. I wonder if she might find this article helpful on remembering a lost baby.

Please can I ask if you know how many weeks pregnant she was when she had the miscarriage?

A urine pregnancy test measures the amount of the hormone hCG present (this is the pregnancy hormone). However, after a miscarriage it typically takes 2-3 weeks or, in some cases, a month for the pregnancy hormone to disappear from the urine so a test may still (falsely) show as positive during this time.

Another reason a test could falsely show as positive after a miscarriage is if a woman did not have a 'complete miscarriage' and there is still pregnancy tissue in the womb. If this was the case, this would need to be removed during a short operation called a D&C.

I would advise your friend to see her doctor as it is important to ascertain what is going on here. Her doctor can do a pregnancy blood test to check what is going on.

Again, I wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your friend's loss.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Hi Carer

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's loss. I actually wrote the article LJ has directed you to and well know the pain and disappointment of loss. As LJ suggests it sounds very much like your friend needs to see a doctor. It is important to establish that her miscarriage is complete both for her physical health and her emotional wellbeing.

If the miscarriage is in fact complete it can also take time for the body's hormonal balance to return to it's non-pregnant state, as LJ suggests. This is the reason why many doctors advise waiting until your cycle returns to normal before attempting to conceive again. This gives your body a better chance of success next time.

In supporting your friend you might find it useful to read this article: Understanding Miscarriage. It explains miscarriage, its management and coping during and after.

I hope that your friend has the love and support needed to face this difficult time and I commend you for seeking help and advice to support her. She is very lucky to have you!

Take care

Regards

Yvette
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content