Is VBAC possible after two caesareans?

My sister has had two babies delivered by c-section. She is expecting her third and we were discussing whether VBAC might be an option for her. She was scheduled for both her previous deliveries so has never been in labour. Does that affect her chance of having a successful VBAC? Is VBAC even possible after two caesareans?

Yup, I know of plenty of people who've have a vaginal birth after two (or even more) c-secs. Google VBA2C birth stories and you'll find lots of examples

Very unlikely to happen in a hospital setting though. She'd need to seek out the right caregivers who were knowledgeable and willing to support her for her desired outcome.
    R, mama to M (8), Z (5.5), and bellybabe due Jan 2014

You're right about having a supportive team. Her surgeon is saying it would be very difficult to achieve which isn't the right mindset to be starting with. She really needs someone to empower her and make her believe it's possible. I will pass on your comments to her!

Thank you and good luck...I see you're due in January Is it a boy/girl/surprise?

Here is an inspirational birth story that one of our forum members shared about a home birth after 4 c-sections.

There are lots of excellent resources on VBACs here.

There is approximately a 75% success rate for women who try to have a VBAC and are able to achieve this (if 'achieve' is the right word?). The success rate is higher for women who have previously had a vaginal birth (as well as a c-section obviously). What seems key, as Asrathiel mentions above, in having a successful VBAC is the midwife who supports you.

There is a small risk of the uterine scar rupturing (the risk is thought to be around or just under 0.5%) and these women would have an emergency c-section.

Best wishes to your sister.

LJ

Thank you so much! I have passed the links along to my sister, she is quite nervous but knowing the risk is under 0.5% I think she will feel much better. I'm sure having a supportive expert by your side (who has been through hundreds of births ) is the last piece in the puzzle. Now we have to cross our fingers that the baby isn't a stubborn breech like her first son!

That's good to hear! I hope your sister finds all this helpful. Please post back if we can answer any more questions about VBACs.

Warm wishes,
    LJ