Hybrid View

How common is secondary infertility?

I'm just wondering whether secondary infertility is common? I've been hearing more and more people mentioning it. Is there any particular reason it occurs?

Secondary infertility is when a couple have problems conceiving a child after they have already successfully had a child. 4% of couples trying to conceive are estimated to have problems with secondary infertility. It can occur for a number of reasons such as an operation or infection that has affected your fertility levels.

LJ

Thanks for the explanation. It must be so hard on people especially when they've had success the first time. I have a few friends that are going through this at the moment and thankfully a few friends that have gone through it but now have second children - just with bigger age gaps than they expected

Secondary infertility is a lot more common in people who have their first child before the age of 30, and then try for their second after the age of 30 (even moreso, after the age of 35).

I conceived my first three children with no problem, so I was extremely surprised when I had trouble conceiving my fourth. It took me a year. Looking back, the things that caused my secondary infertility were...

1. The stress I went through with baby #3 who was born with a congenital heart defect and had to have open heart surgery at 2 months of age.

2. The fact that I was over 35 and my fertility had declined simply due to age.

I was able to turn my secondary infertility around, nutritionally, and I went on to conceive and give birth two two more children, my last just a month before my 41st birthday.

Increasing fertility can be done, even in many cases of secondary infertility, especially if the cause is not a physical one (ie. fallopian tubes blocked).

Warm Regards,

Kate

Yes, as Kate says there are a number of factors that could lead to secondary infertility. Something else to bear in mind is that when you already have one child (or more) it can be more difficult to have time to make love or keep track of your fertile period. If you are breastfeeding (particularly 'ecologically breastfeeding' i.e. breastfeeding on demand and being close to your baby in the day and night) then the average time for your periods to return (and so for you to be fertile again) is 14.5 months postpartum. However, for some women it can take 2 years for their periods to return.

I agree with you twolittleboys; it must be very difficult when you want another child and see the age gap getting bigger and bigger.

Best wishes,

LJ