Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: how to avoid overdue
7th December 2013 12:07 AM #1
- Join Date
- Dec 2013
how to avoid overdue
How can a pregnant women avoid overdue?
7th December 2013 08:21 AM #2
A normal full term pregnancy is considered to be anywhere between 37 and 42 weeks of pregnancy. Whilst a woman's 'due date' is given as the day she is 40 weeks pregnant only 5% of babies are actually born on this date. It is somewhat arbitrary. By far the majority of babies will be born when they are ready and for some babies this is at 41 or 42 weeks. This is nothing wrong with going 'overdue'.
However, an issue being being 'overdue' is that some hospitals put pressure on a woman to be induced if they go past a certain date. If you are almost on the point of labour and your body just needs 'tipping into' labour then there are a few things you can try to naturally start labour. These include:
- walking lots (without making yourself tired)
- having sex or nipple stimulation; this releases the hormone Oxytocin which is also released in labour
- eat a spicy curry; this can stimulate the bowel and so set off contractions
- bounce on a birthing ball
- have a warm bath, relax and visualise your baby coming to you
Please do post back here if you have any questions.