Breastfeeding - bottle tips

Does anyone have any tips on how to give a bottle to bub? My husband has tried, my mum has tried, tried different teats....no luck!

Dear Daisy,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier. I hope you are getting on ok.

How old is your baby? I ask because in the first 8-12 weeks of life breastfeeding is being established and it is best to not give the bottle during this time if your baby is exclusively breastfed. This is because a newborn baby can get 'nipple confusion'; this is where their ability to latch onto the breast is reduced because the way a baby drinks from a bottle is different to the way a baby latches onto the breast. Once breastfeeding has been well established and you are confident of your baby's ability to latch on etc then you can use the bottle for expressed milk.

Is your question about feeding your baby expressed breastmilk from a bottle or formula from a bottle? Breastmilk is the best and 'normal' milk for a baby because of its many, many advantages over formula milk.

For a young baby you can try 'cup feeding' them expressed milk. Here is a link on cup feeding.

You can also purchase a special bottle which simulates the breastfeeding latch. So that the baby has to latch onto the bottle in a similar way to the breast.

Other ways to help a baby drink from a bottle include:

- feeding them whilst moving rhythmically
    - ask your husband to try feeding the baby whilst you are in the garden/upstairs
    - cuddle your baby lots whilst giving them the bottle
    - have you tried different types of bottle teat?
    - warm the bottle teat under the warm tap (but check its not too hot)
    - give your baby the bottle in a position that they like to breastfeed in

It's important to remember that your baby gets so much more from breastfeeding than just the nutrients of the breastmilk alone. It is your baby's comfort and associated with love, warmth and sleep. This is why many babies (understandably!) are reluctant to take the bottle.

If your baby is over 6 months old then you could try helping them to have their milk in a doidy cup.

I do hope this helps you.
    Best wishes and happy Christmas,
    LJ