Thread: Watching videos

Watching videos

My daughter is always asking me to play her favorite cartoon/video. This will also pacify her when she's in bad mood. Sometimes, when I have something important to do, I let her watch them so I can concentrate on what I'm doing.

Will this do good to her? It's an educational video though and I can see that she's learning.

Dear Leslie,

The problem with young children watching the television/iPad is that they are stimulated in a different way to real-life playing and stimulation. Research has shown that too much 'screen time' can lower creativity and developmental skills in young children and they can also reduce a child's long term attention span.

Screen time is ok for occasional use which is recommended to be no more than 30 minutes a day for this age group. All this also applies to 'educational videos'. If you are going to let your child watch something then it is best if you watch it with her so that you can engage together with what she is watching. Even 'educational videos' will not provide the learning opportunities of the real-world.

What is better, is if you can engage your daughter in the tasks you are doing and make this a natural and fun learning experience. For example, say you need to sort the washing. Get your daughter to help you work out whose clothes are whose or sort the socks into pairs matching colours and making up songs about clothes as you go. Yes, the job will take longer but you will be enjoying each others' company and learning whilst you do it. Your daughter could help with weighing out ingredients when you need to cook. She could pretend to clean with you when you are cleaning.

It is also better that your daughter does not associate videos with helping to stop her feeling moody or being unhappy. In fact, if she does seem 'moody' then she is probably in need of more attention at this time and an interesting real-life game rather than being subdued by electronic entertainment. At the moment, I am really enjoying using the resources on the imagination tree website with my little ones.

I have found that the house is a lot more dis-organised since I have had little ones! But I have learnt that that has to be ok. Yes, some jobs still need to be done. But my children need my attention and to have access to tonnes of creative arts, crafts, building games, sorting games, etc (these don't have to be expensive and can be homemade). I remind myself each day that these are precious moments with my children and I want to be there with them engaging in these moments for as much as is physically possible.

I hope some of this helped you.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

p.s. We recently discussed this article on the forum which you may find useful: should young children use iPads?

Happy New Year!

Thank you so much LJ for that really wonderful advice. I would definitely try that. I hope this will work for her. Will post back for any update. Thanks again.

Happy new year to you and your family Leslie!

I'm so pleased the above was helpful. Yes - let me know how you get on. We can always give you more suggestions for alternatives to videos etc here.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks again, LJ. Happy New Year!

LJ had some great advise. I remember when my first child was 2 years old, and I was starting a business. My time was so focused on the business that she spent a lot of time entertaining herself. Admittedly, I should have been more focused on my child at that time, (so don't repeat the mistakes I made) but the take-away from this experience is that my child did not watch TV or computer or iPad. She just played in her room with the toys and books and craft items that were available to her.

Let us know if you have tried anything different yet, with your daughter, and how she has responded.

Warm Regards,

Kate

It was fun. They still asks me to play videos. So I told them "why won't we create our own video?". They were very excited. I let them count their blocks and sort their lego according to color while taking them video. Even when I prepare their food and when they are eating. After the play, we watched the video together and they actually having fun while creating a remembrance of their childhood.

Thank you.

This is a great idea Leslie! Fun and memorable - love it

Thanks LJ. Thank you for all of your advice. They are really helpful.