Thread: Immunization

Hybrid View

Immunization

My daughter is five years old and she's in school now. Are there any booster shots or vaccines that she might need? What are they? Thank you.

Dear Leslie,

This depends on where you live as different countries have different vaccination schedules. Here is the current Australian Vaccination Schedule. These vaccinations are recommended by the program at age 4:

- Diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis (whooping cough) and inactivated poliomyelitis (polio) (DTPa-IPV)
    - Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) (to be given only if MMRV vaccine was not given at 18 months)

Your doctor's surgery should have records of your daughters vaccinations and should be able to help you with this.

One important point to note is that vaccinations are a parents' choice. There are benefits and risks associated with each vaccination and every parent needs to decide if they are happy with their child being vaccinated or not. Part of this decision will perhaps depend on the likelihood of your child contracting a particular disease (i.e. what is the likelihood of this disease where you live?) and how severe and likely are the risks associated with the vaccine.

A good book on this topic is The Parents Concise Guide to Childhood Vaccinations by Lauren Feder.

Please do post back if you have any further questions or comments about this.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

I want the important vaccines. Thank you for your suggestions LJ.

Dear Leslie,

Your doctor's surgery is required to keep records of your child's vaccinations so I would check with them. Some schools also keep their own records.

Warm wishes,
    LJ