Thread: Back labour

Hybrid View

Back labour

I had back labour with 2 of my babies. With the first, I remember my midwife checking me and telling me that my baby was posterior (face up). This creates contractions which are more painful with a lot of pain in the back. As soon as she turned my baby, that back pain vanished. It felt SO good. Then I had a few more contractions and decided to hop into a warm bath (l love the warm water during labour).

During my labour in the water, my baby flipped again, so that she was posterior (I could immediately feel the difference in my labour pains) and then she flipped on her own to an anterior position (face down, and the best presenting position for birth).

I remember my sister-in-law applying counter pressure to my lower back during my contractions, and I remember the relief that offered while my baby was posterior.

Here's a good video showing how the use of tennis balls can be very effective at relieving back pain during labour.

all 8 of my babies were posterior. my labours are long & intense with terrible back pain. It has been suggested that due to the fact that all of them have been posterior, the shape of my pelvis is what turns the babies to this position when they engage.
    The only real relief i get, apart from an epidural, is the shower. running warm water on my back is heaven. I am really hoping a birth pool will have a similiar effect.
    the tennis ball video is great...so simple yet effective. will definately be giving it a go.

Gerri,

Has your birth attendant (doctor?) ever tried to turn your babies to an anterior position while you were in labour?

With my first baby, my midwife turned her when I was about 4cm, and as soon as baby's head was positioned better on my cervix, I went to 6cm. My midwife just inserted her two fingers (think of a "V") and rotated baby's head, and baby's body followed.

With my 3rd baby my midwife broke my bag and then turned the baby's head the same way, BUT she had her assistant help rotate the baby's body by manipulating my belly. She then held the baby in that position for a contraction (to move the baby down and keep him in position) and at the end of the contraction she said, "With contractions like that, you're baby will be her in an hour". It ended up taking 2 hours, but that's because I wasn't in a good position to push. Once they took me from a leaning back position to on my knees, I felt that urge to push and things progressed very quickly.

I'm just wondering if your attendant tries to turn your babies during labour. For me it was a huge relief and labour progressed much faster because baby was better positioned.

Did you birth your babies "sunny side up"?

Warmly,

Kate

Administrator
    A great website for looking at lots of different techniques for encouraging babies into a head down and anterior position Gerri is Spinning Babies - so you might get some ideas from this website. I've also just put up an article on the website called 'Turning a posterior baby in pregnancy is not so easy' which reports on a study that shows hands and knees position (on its own) in pregnancy doesn't appear to encourage babies into an anterior (front facing) position. While a little disappointing I think we just have to look for alternative solutions. This doesn't report whether or not it makes a different in labour.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Jane,

Have you turned any anterior babies during labour? Just curious if it's something you've seen before or that you do yourself.

Warmly,

Kate

I did try a lot of things closer to labour day to prevent the posterior position...sitting forward & chiropractic sessions & all fours in labour to no avail. I tend to believe the theory that the shape of my pelvis has a lot to do with it.

Most of my babies aren't usually posterior until they engage. The last 2 were, but i had an anterior placenta both times. from memory a couple were tried to be turned during labour. the others were turned during 2nd stage with the vacuum. my last bub was born "sunny side up'. he was my 10lb1oz vba4c bubba.